Jeep 4.2 questions

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just picked up a YJ, has the 4.2, have any of you guys ever put one of those Clifford Valve covers on one? Also, I was thinking of throwing Holley's TBI kit on there.. whatcha think? This is gonna be the wife's wheeler but needs to stay street legal, has a brand new 4.2 that leaksfrom the valve cover(plastic) I want to keep the engine trans and T-case in it because they run perfect... except when I'm wheelin'.

Last edited:

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
If you wanted you could but the metal valve cover on there it might leak too but not as bad as the plastic ones. I would not put too much money into the motor stuff adds up quickly. If you want fuel injection put a fuel injected 350 into or at least a chevy 4.3 v6. I put a crabed 350, sm465 and np205 in my scrambler for about $2500 and it was easy. Fuel injection for a 258 runs about $1600 or so I can not remember but what you get is a fuel injection 258. Keep what you have until it dies and then do a swap.

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
That's not bad. But again if it runs fine I would not put money into one. I bout a 77 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 for $900 and put the whole drive train in my jeep

grinch

inner city redneck
I ran the Howell TBI in my scrambler for about a year. It made a great differnce on the cold start mornings and I didnt have the annoying carburator cut outs on steep hills but dont think it was worth the 1,000 bucks it cost. I say save up for the 4.3 or if you want to still keep the 258 itleast swap on the 4.0 heads for a little more horse power. either way its gonna cost ya.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey Lowe, nobody asked you what you did! I am keeping the 4.2, that's my choice and I know it's issues. If you aren't answering the question I asked, then stay out of the thread!(rant mode off) Does any one know the legals on carb swapping? Remember, this is a 1988 YJ, not a 83 Scrambler. I was thinking of fitting a Motorcraft 2100 on it while I research the Holley kit. The 4.0 head swap isn't appealing to me... you still have to fuel it.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Technicaly the holley TBI will not pass The IM. When I looked in to using it I thought about trying to disguse it but it would not hook up to the stock air cleaner. I am not positive but I think Howell has a setup that is Carb approved now(about 1200). Other than that I don't know of any legal setup besides the mopar kit(about 2000). As for the valve cover the aluminum cover will definatly cure the drip, but Clifford stuff is way pricey(there motto should be 6=8=$$$). 4WD hardware sells an aluminum cover for 110.00.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
interesting, I just discovered that my YJ already has an aluminum one on it... they just forgot the gasket:eek: :rolleyes: I wonder if I can disguise the MC 2100?

grinch

inner city redneck
The howell kit is emissions legal. You still run the vacume lines through the charcol canister and all the other emissions stuff. It really is a good kit. You can also get a califorina kit from them that has even more of the smog stuff and even passes the california emessions standards. I am currently running the motercraft on my 258 cuz I got my computer wet in my fuel injection kit and ruind it. The people I talked to at the emissions place said this was not a legal swap due the fact it dosent run half of the vaccume lines your moter needs. They also said that it ran cleaner and they would just look the other way. (no harm no foul).
Hope you have luck with your decision.

grinch

inner city redneck
I have liked it enough that I havent gotten around to getting a new computer for the TBI injection kit. It runs at some pritty extreme angles without cutting out and still kicked some major butt over the stocker in power. I dont know if you know anything about using this carb but it does require an adaptor for a 2 barrel large spread to a 2 barrel small spread. Other than that you have to fab up a throttle linkage but its pritty easey and straight forward. If you dont have the cash for the TBI kit I would deffinantly say this is the route to go. Its Cheap and works great.

P

pokeyYJ

Have you thought about doing the 4.0 head swap and then running the MPI system that the 4.0's came with. If you found a wrecked 4.0 out of a 95 and older wrangler you could pull all the computer stuff with the head and fuel system. Just a thought.:)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
For the cost of the 4.0 head swap, or the whole 4.0, I could come close to a V-8. I think I will try the 2100 for now, and a good gasket set. Thank you for your help Grinch!:D