Jeep 4 cyl. engines any good?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Thanks for all the input guys! I'll keep lookin' and it sounds like I shouldn't completely rule out the 4 banger! I'm used to gutless rigs, so I'm not too worried about a lack of power, as long as the motor is reliable and gets halfway decent mileage.

another question while we're at it: is the carbed 4.0 a good option? I've seen a few of them for sale as well. do they have any particular problems in off-camber situations that I would want to know about??

Thanks again!

Guy I work with has the carbed 4.0 and it would die when the angle got too steep. He swapped in the Motorcraft 2100 carb and it's been great ever since.

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
i wouldnt go with a old 4.0 carbed, rather have a 4.2l if that was the case, old 4.0
's have head issues from what i have heard. plus 4.2's are easy to find efi kits for.

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
mesha, why are you offering rides in my jeep? :)

to add to the thread, i like driving 4.0s, but the mpg in my TJ was dismal with an average of about 12 with 33s.

i'm hoping the 4 cyl. will be a little better.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
mesha, why are you offering rides in my jeep? :)

to add to the thread, i like driving 4.0s, but the mpg in my TJ was dismal with an average of about 12 with 33s.

i'm hoping the 4 cyl. will be a little better.

It is only almost your jeep:p

I forgot to tell you I can offer rides in stuff stored in my back yard. I used to offer rides in your ford truck, but only wasps took the offer.