Jeep CJ5 SOA

SlickWillie21

Comfortably Numb
well folks, i have a 78 CJ5; and I am going to spring it over and need a list of stuff to buy, look out for, any help i might need. I want to go wider springs up front; what would be the best?? any steering parts i need? could y'all help out a newbie jeeper??? Thanks!! :)

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
how much of the work do you plan to do yourself? i've seen a bolt on kit that will come with all the parts you need.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
SlickWillie21 said:
well folks, i have a 78 CJ5; and I am going to spring it over and need a list of stuff to buy, look out for, any help i might need. I want to go wider springs up front; what would be the best?? any steering parts i need? could y'all help out a newbie jeeper??? Thanks!! :)

Are the axles stock???

It is difficult to get the steering right on a spring over without using a high steer type setup. I am not sure what is available for Dana 30 front ends.

snake

SNAKE
Teraflex sells cross over steering for a D30 that will correct your steering it's not real cheap though. I'm running a droped pitman arm with the stock steering linkage on a YJ with a SOA and 1.5 inch spring and it's worked out for me. You also need to get some heavy duty springs and run a antiwrap bar in the rear or you will always be bending your springs.

SlickWillie21

Comfortably Numb
yep, all stock....i plan on going to D44's later; but need to save up some money for that. i want to do as much work as i can; just so i can get the feel of everything...thanks for the help; it will help me a ton!

OCNORB

Supporting Member
SlickWillie21 said:
yep, all stock....i plan on going to D44's later; but need to save up some money for that. i want to do as much work as i can; just so i can get the feel of everything...thanks for the help; it will help me a ton!

Do yourself a favor and find the 44's first. It will make the whole process much easier. There is a set ready to be installed on ksl.com classifieds right now for $400 - limited slips front and rear included. Would make a much better start and save you major $$$ in the long run. My .02 (Been down that road)

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
SlickWillie21 said:

Curious, How big of tires do you plan on running?

If you are thinking about 35s or under. you could put off the spring over (and its head aches: steering, spring perches, traction bars, etc) and do a spring under lift and wheel the hell out of it.

just a thought. :)

(I have scrambler that is spring over and it works great but I am running 40 in tires, but my CJ5 is on 35's and is still spring under and wheels great.)

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
For the time being, you could always spring over, and go the gusseted "Z" link route on the drag link. It's fer sure a patch, but if you're planning a future upgrade, it'll get you by.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
BCGPER said:
For the time being, you could always spring over, and go the gusseted "Z" link route on the drag link. It's fer sure a patch, but if you're planning a future upgrade, it'll get you by.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Right.............

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
BCGPER said:
Like that narrow track 30 is going to see two trails???? :rofl:
Right back at ya!

Ok, first off, I wouldn't SOA a narrow track for the life of me. You will end up on your lip sooner than you want.

Oh, and BC.................... :p

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Oh yeah, I remeber the "Shawn" rule now.... Do it right the frist time right? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, forget all that, you need to go with a 3 link and coilovers, dont waste your money on anything else!

Shawn's gettin old, both of us had a lot of fun in our budget rigs, but he can't remember that far back (must be the welding fumes).......

Shawn said:
Ok, first off, I wouldn't SOA a narrow track for the life of me. You will end up on your lip sooner than you want.

Oh, and BC.................... :p

OCNORB

Supporting Member
BCGPER said:

make sure to plan your future upgrade to happen before inspection time, I don't think even the most lenient of inspectors would pass a "Z" link.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Here's the situation, we would like to get the Jeep spring over and build the 44's over the next summer. Then we will upgrade the axles. Cody (slickwillie21) hasn't had much seat time in a Jeep and I am going to show him around some local trails this upcoming summer to get him into the swing of things. Then when he get's used to wheeling with open/stock axles... we'll upgrade :D. What I am mostly concerned about is the front springs. I would like to see YJ or Wag springs on the front of it and possibly YJ springs on the back. What do you think?