Jeep doesn't pass inspection. Where can I get an LCA bracket, axle side?

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
A few years back, I was fooling around in AF canyon, and ripped a control arm apart, and the remaining arm on that side took a beating getting out of the canyon. It mangled the stock bracket so much that it will not accept a control arm in the correct place anymore. It needs to be cut off, and a new one welded on. Where can I get one that will be close enough that I can have it welded on? It's the style with the bushing inside of it. Or, heck, I might need a whole new setup there, I am not sure I even have the old control arm anymore. Might be better to put a better one on.
The frame side bracket looks okay, other than the exhaust having been damaged so that it seems they will contact. I can get the exhaust rebuilt at a shop easily enough.

Advice?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I think I have a left over bracket from an old build I did. Inside diameter is 2 5/8 inches. Otherwise grab two tabs from JC and I can weld them on for you.

STAG

On my grind
Who is JC?
*embarrassed*

jesus-christ.jpg

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
I found my old one, I might be able to make it work, but I will have to cut up and weld back on the original bracket to the axle. It's totally mangled, and about two inches more to the driver's side than it ought to be.
I also have a leaking seal, so I have been putting it in wrong for the last hour and a half. *facepalm*
Is there anyone who could lend a hand in bountiful? I have tried repeatedly with a large socket and threaded rod, but it will go crooked every single time. So frustrating. I have tried both a 36mm, and a 32mm.

I was laid off a few weeks ago, and between honey do's and bathroom repairs, I have been looking for another tech job. But, motorcycle riding season will end before I know it, and I will need the Jeep to get to work. That's what spurred all this work on the front end.

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
Nice one Chocflip, Heh!
So I had two nice young women stop by today, they need service work to do. On mission from California, I think it was. I couldn't imagine asking them to help with this, so I sent them to my neighbor's house. They were dressed so nicely, I can't imagine asking them to help with just about anything around here. If it was two dudes, I could have loaned them some clothes, and we would be crushing this. Ha ha!

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
It's the driver's side inner seal (only seal) I was struggling with. I think I finally got it into place, and deep enough. I must be doing it wrong, there had to have been an easier way to do it.
But, if anyone cares to come by, there might be celebratory beers. Next week, we will be trying some stout my wife brewed, and the week after, some IPA.
Still need to reassemble the front end, mostly, and cut up/weld up the bracket. A buddy from a place I used to work says he is coming over, and that will mean mostly flapping of jaws, with a little wrenching to finish off the afternoon and take us into early evening.

Last edited:

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
1186328_10152536330058484_359161873_n.jpg
There it is. it's a little hammered on the back side, but it appears to be in there squarely. Now on to the rest of the problems. Luckily I had a spare GC tie rod assembly hanging around, because one tie rod end was also wrecked. The Jeep ought to drive much better with all this new kit on it, right? Heh!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
If the axle is already torn down that far, just take it the rest of the way out of the Jeep - that will make fixing your bracket(s?) MUCH easier... That way, you can take it to someone that can weld it up on their bench, rather then them having to bring equipment and come to you and lay under the Jeep. Much better end result that way too.