Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ or WJ buggy?

Dal Bone

Been thinking about building a buggy one day and contemplating the different platforms that are available to start out with and wanted some opinions.

Why is the Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ or wJ not used as often? It seems to me that they are cheap and readily available. Plus you can get them with a V-8.

Just curious what everyones opinion why they are not used as much?

1995zj

I'm addicted
The ZJ and WJ isn't a common "buggy" type application because it is a unibody rig. If you truly want to do a buggy, start with something that has a frame. Don't get me wrong, I love my ZJ, but it's not a buggy by any means. It has the drivetrain for one, but if I were to ever wreck it I'd probably start over with a tube buggy or a YJ/TJ base.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Unibody, weak transmission, most are AWD, awful rear axles...

all buggies are unibody, never found a 46rh that failed in a buggy,96-98 have locking center diff in a stronger case than the 231, no vehicle came with a "buggy" drivetrain from the factory.

but if you want a "buggy", start with tube. It's more trouble than it's worth trying to adapt tube to the factory unibody. Find a ZJ from the yard, take the 5.2, tranny, hood, and fender, and then get to bending.

Last edited: