Jeep Speed

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
I am helping build a 97 grand cherokee to race this august. Looking for any input.... Ideas for the roll cage design, suspension mounting, bumpers, motor, etc. We are trying to build it cheap, and simple but effective!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm not real clear on current JeepSpeed, but thought it was for XJ vehicles and had to use 'factory' or 'readily available aftermarket' parts. Do they have a ZJ class nowadays? I think it'd be a lot of fun to run, but you'd end up with quite a few busted hulks of unibody Jeeps after a while.

Basicly, they wanted to create an 'affordable' series you could DRIVE your XJ to, flog it over the desert, and drive (?) home. I'm not sure if it's changed since it's inception (I'm sure it has), but that was the original premise.

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
Sorry............ Got in a hurry. It is not a grand cherokee. I always mistake it because it is not a sport; therefore has a different look than i am use to.

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
They also have the new Jeep speed 3 class

JEEPSPEED 3
A new exciting faster class for ANY MODEL Jeep manufactured between 1984 and 2006 with a maximum wheelbase of 110".
Jeepspeed 3 will be an unlimited class for Jeeps conforming with the Class 3000 rules of The Best in the Desert racing association .
Short wheel base Wranglers may stretch chassis and body to Wrangler Unlimited dimensions of 103.4 wheelbase.

A new exciting faster class for ANY MODEL Jeep manufactured between 1984 and 2006 with a maximum wheelbase of 110".
Examples- Jeep Liberty with 2005 Hemi ,Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.9 liter Dodge motor or upgrade current Jeepspeed Cherokee with V8.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
i think your still confused on what you own.its cool they made a new class but it will soon get out of hand.it seems to be more of an unlimited class where horsepower will become the factor instead of driver skill.i'm all about power but funner racing can be had when the playing field is mroe equal.

an Cherokee Xj looks nothing like a Grand Cherokee Zj

Grand Cherokee
attachment.php

Cherokee
7_24_04_38.sized.jpg

i'm not trying to be rude or mean i'm just trying to understand what you have and what you have in mind for changes

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
I am almost positive it is an xj....... I may very well be mistaken; however it has fender flares, and looks similar to this .... http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/misc/pics/xj.jpg
I will try and post a pic of it as soon as I get home.

We helped Dave build his Xterra that was raced last weekend, and he went over the jeep with us. We were also able to talk to quite a few people down at the race and get some ideas.
here is the link to the xterra http://www.xterraownersclub.com/forums.html

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
This is the race we are planning to run..... TSCO “Vegas to Reno”. It is the longest off road race in the United States.

We are not going for "speed" our objective is slow, steady, and FINISH!

Last edited:

Badger

I am the Brute squad
its real easy to tell the difference.one will say Cherokee on it the other will say Grand Cherokee on it.the Grand is rounded,has a sloped hood and grill.the Cherokee is a big refrigerator box with a smaller stove box taped to the front,heheheh.

i don't know about this new class but i do know that the Xj class regular Jeepspeed races the Jeep has to remain most stock with certain changes being allowed.these changes are very limited the suspension and what can be done to the motor are the most limited.the interior can be stripped,glass can be removed,rear hatch can be removed these are the types of changes that will gain you the biggest edge.the less weight you have to move the faster you will go.the best ican say is go through all the rules and hit the forums up of at Jeepspeed they will be able to help you the most.

the link doesn't work or go to where you want