Jeep TJ help

Sawtooth

Hagisch
So a new RME member and also newer to Utah(romad) was on his way to my house to pick up some coils,when a lady pulled in front of him on Highland.The collision left him with a broken steering box shaft.If anyone could help a brother out,and knew of a box laying around,I know he would be very appreciative.I believe it is an earlier TJ and it's pretty bad ass.Good way to help a new member out.Thanks

RockChucker

what year TJ? I don't think the box changed until 03? anyway, i have a stock box. it leaks pretty bad though. just tell him to get a durango box with the snow plow option. it is the same turns lock to lock as a TJ and is a stronger box.

romad

Hey thank yall so much. it's an '06 lj and yes if anyone has a box I got a little cash I could spend, so please let me know. Not looking for anything for free just don't have a lot of extra cash. The other driver got a ticket for failure to yield so maybe we'll see what happens. Everyone was ok. Thank you all again. Glad to be a member!

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Hey thank yall so much. it's an '06 lj and yes if anyone has a box I got a little cash I could spend, so please let me know. Not looking for anything for free just don't have a lot of extra cash. The other driver got a ticket for failure to yield so maybe we'll see what happens. Everyone was ok. Thank you all again. Glad to be a member!

If she was cited I would make her insurance pay out, it's what insurance is for.

Bart

I hear that a Durango box is a direct bolt in and an upgrade to the TJ boxes. Not sure of the years to look for but Google could help. Be careful putting in a box that has been sitting on a shelf for a while. I had a good TJ box that sat for about 4 years. When my box blew the seals this year I swapped in the other box. The seals must have dried out because it started leaking immediately. I bought a new box and went through the process again, not fun. I'd much rather do it once than twice. Good luck.

DAA

My '06 has a Mercedes box from the factory, not sure but I don't think the Durango or earlier TJ boxes are a direct bolt-in swap. Although, I'm sure those boxes could be made to work with a little fabrication and maybe a different hose.

- DAA

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
My '06 has a Mercedes box from the factory, not sure but I don't think the Durango or earlier TJ boxes are a direct bolt-in swap. Although, I'm sure those boxes could be made to work with a little fabrication and maybe a different hose.

- DAA

If I remember correctly you are right. The '03s and newer had a different bolt pattern on the box but people still swapped them in with a little fab work.

Bart

Now that you mention it, that sounds familiar. My 04 Unlimited was different than the other TJs Ive owned.