Jeep transfer case on a dodge ram?

I may need to swap the t-case in my truck. Cannot find many dodge cases around here but there are loads of jeep ones laying around. Will a jeep t-case work in a dodge ram?

I have considered rebuilding it but I do not have a press. I do have a bearing puller, but if I have to pull things off a longer shaft im screwed.

ITs popping in and out of 4wd and when i get it in 4wd it makes a terrible clunking in the front like its popping in and out or the chain in there is skipping, so i figure either the shift fork pads are bad or the chain is skipping. I am new to dodge though so Im just guessing here. Could be as simple as the linkage not aligned. Im doing that tomorrow with a mechanic friend and if that doesnt fix it i will have to replace/rebuild.

What cases can i use on a Ram automatic with a 5.9?

thanks

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have never seen a chain slip that didnt crack the case............And no a jeep t-case will not work

so a 231 in a jeep is different than a 231 in a dodge? I thought they were the same and just the input [23 spline?] and output[32 ??] shafts had to be changed to match the application.. I was hoping to buy any old 231 and use my input and output shafts if they were ok. =[

Has anyone rebuilt one of these things? is there a lot of bearing pulling to do? if so is it something I can do with a puller or do you need press?

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
the NP 231 is pretty easy to work on i think there is only a bearing in the tail housing that needs to be pressed in and out and one more pressed one for the front output but i could be wrong, ive installed a SYE kit and changed the chain on one it is easy if you know the tricks, but if your case is cracked from the chain slipping your better off getting a used one and replaceing the whole thing

Badger

I am the Brute squad
The difference between the Dodge and Jeep models is that the Dodge is an HD(Heavy Duty)231. It is a wider case I believe because it uses a wider chain as well as the differences in the input/outputs. I'm not sure if the bolt pattern is the same or not as well.

They came in plenty of stuff. As for rebuilding the case, it's a pretty simple one to work on.

it was linkage. After I got under it and reset the linkage, it quit popping out, but was still clanking. The clanking is due to the extreme angle on my front driveline. The nub that put the lift on didnt index the t case... or anything else...lol What have I bought.... sorry about the false alarm...now to figure out how to fix this axle

I am going to take it off and grind the u joint retainers [is it a yoke on the front driveline???lol new to dodge...] and the constant velocity joint. and index the t case. Hopefully that works...