Jeep XJ lift suggestions?

My friend is getting a 2000 or 2001 Jeep Cherokee, and he started asking me what lift he should put on it. I don't know anything about jeeps, especially the newer ones.

We were looking about 3 inches of lift. Doesn't have to be super flexy because it will not be wheeled too hard.

Some of the kits I was looking at on the net today were Skyjacker, Rubicon Express...... What should he look at? Ideas??

Thanks!

xjc

I give up :(
Old man emu

unless quality and ride arent as important as $

I have it and the new springs are vastly superior to original equipment. I didn't get the shocks though, 65 each is ridiculus, just buy deuchtech's. There are a couple of guys on the board here who are dealers and can get the stuff at a good price.

Then of coarse, I'm no expert!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by ledhead
My friend is getting a 2000 or 2001 Jeep Cherokee, and he started asking me what lift he should put on it. I don't know anything about jeeps, especially the newer ones.

We were looking about 3 inches of lift. Doesn't have to be super flexy because it will not be wheeled too hard.

Some of the kits I was looking at on the net today were Skyjacker, Rubicon Express...... What should he look at? Ideas??

Thanks!

Nobody knows anything about Cherokees here...... {RE is decent quality for OK price}.......I'm not a big Skyjacker fan, but mostly because of the pricing and a couple of minor things on their bigger lifts.

Originally posted by mbryson

Nobody knows anything about Cherokees here...... {RE is decent quality for OK price}.......I'm not a big Skyjacker fan, but mostly because of the pricing and a couple of minor things on their bigger lifts.

Ditto

RE's the way to go.

Cool.. One more question.. How much do you need to change with a 3.5" vs a 4.5"? How high can you go before you have to start messing with new drivelines or steering, maybe even brake lines?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
the kits will most likely change the tracbar for steering, and add in shims for the rear driveline....brake lines dont get too bad until you get about 6 inches of lift and super flexy.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Originally posted by ledhead
Cool.. One more question.. How much do you need to change with a 3.5" vs a 4.5"? How high can you go before you have to start messing with new drivelines or steering, maybe even brake lines?

4.5" you'll start running into 'issues'.....I ran stock control arms on RE 4.5" springs for quite a while with no adverse affects.

Caleb

Has he already bought the Jeep, or does he already know which one he's getting...Just wondering cause I am going to be sellin a 2001 real soon here...I can send you some pics if he's interested:D...BTW what little I know about Cherokee lifts I would go with RE or Old Man Emu...RE if he want a little more lift than the OME will privide...this si why we keep Marc around (cherokee questions:D)

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Rubicon Express.......only way to go in my opinion for off the shelf Cherokee suspensions. Not really that pricey, but one hell of a product. That's what I will be running, again, in about 2 weeks.

Originally posted by RedRockXJ
Rubicon Express.......only way to go in my opinion for off the shelf Cherokee suspensions. Not really that pricey, but one hell of a product. That's what I will be running, again, in about 2 weeks.

Again eh? Isn't that a good feeling?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Originally posted by crimsonride

Again eh? Isn't that a good feeling?

Indeed.....I think that i will order the parts tommorow actually :D

I talked to Sandy by the way...she and Curt have to talk to Marc (the owner) and see what he wants to do.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i am sold on RE, after viewing three different lift for cherokees on three different friends' rides. RE is superior to all in the quality and price, not to mention incredible flex on the 4.5". my buddy hasn't touched his d-lines, and everything is going great. he did Dump Bump in Feb. 5 times without lockers or gears. his Jeep is tough.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Originally posted by SAMI
i am sold on RE, after viewing three different lift for cherokees on three different friends' rides. RE is superior to all in the quality and price, not to mention incredible flex on the 4.5". my buddy hasn't touched his d-lines, and everything is going great. he did Dump Bump in Feb. 5 times without lockers or gears. his Jeep is tough.

XJ wheelbase owns Dump Bump.......Fun stuff.....

Indeed.....I think that i will order the parts tommorow actually :D

I talked to Sandy by the way...she and Curt have to talk to Marc (the owner) and see what he wants to do.

Thanks buddy. I'm stressing about this job thing.

Originally posted by mbryson

XJ wheelbase owns Dump Bump.......Fun stuff.....

Yup I've seen open 31's walk it. We're good at atleast one thing.

Whoops, sorry to kijack.

-Here's my input-

Brake lines will strech a long way if you relocate them and unhook the rear from the hangar. Slip yokes are tricky and different for every vehicle. Depending on your rear setup it might work at six or it might fall out at four. I've heard of both. RE is the way to go. If you go with the 4.5 kit you won't have any worries about drive lines or yokes or brake lines. It's a complete kit, you won't need anything more other than tires and an alignment.
Tires
31's Mnimal trimming(just for when flexing)
32's Moderate trimming
33's Lots of trimming

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3501&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Last edited:

Or, 35's MASSIVE TRIMMING! I will let you know how much needs to be trimmed next week :D

Ooooooooh, that's not a bad idea. I would have done it by now but I need a new powerplant. I saw a nice cherokee last night. Curry 9":)