Jeeper's F350 'Bagheera'

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Getting back on topic of "Bagheera", a gasser (even if it's a new 7.3L gasser?) would totally struggle with any kind of a sail type trailer like a travel trailer or enclosed?
For the 7.3, I think it would depend on a few things. I’d want the lower gear set like @TRD270 has, but I think you’d be surprised at how well it would do.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
For the 7.3, I think it would depend on a few things. I’d want the lower gear set like @TRD270 has, but I think you’d be surprised at how well it would do.
Very happy with my gear set choice. By no means towing a heavy load. But I’ve been averaging just shy of 13mpg while towing. Usually keep it at 75 or less though, can really feel a resistance difference with just 5 more mph. I think it should improve as I think the motor is starting to loosen up a bit, just under 6k miles

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Very happy with my gear set choice. By no means towing a heavy load. But I’ve been averaging just shy of 13mpg while towing. Usually keep it at 75 or less though, can really feel a resistance difference with just 5 more mph. I think it should improve as I think the motor is starting to loosen up a bit, just under 6k miles

4.30 setup?

I did drive one a few weeks ago. I was WAY impressed with the 7.3. The GM 6.6 gas, not as much. GM gas was about a 2010 V10 feel. Fine but not spectacular. Probably surprise the owner/driver with what it could do though? Felt like a big small block in a truck. Some promises but not quite what you're after

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
4.30 setup?

I did drive one a few weeks ago. I was WAY impressed with the 7.3. The GM 6.6 gas, not as much. GM gas was about a 2010 V10 feel. Fine but not spectacular. Probably surprise the owner/driver with what it could do though? Felt like a big small block in a truck. Some promises but not quite what you're after
👍 4:30. Was honestly the hardest decision when ordering. I went back and forth many times. Ended up with 4:30 for future proofing, didn’t seem to sacrifice any mpg and allegedly get the better axle.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I’ve got the 3.73 gears in my truck, which I believe to be my fuel issue. There is just not quite enough torque coming through to catch and hold the bottom of a gear, so I am always riding in the higher rpm’s of the lower gear. I really prefer to drive between 70-75mph, and that’s right between 4th and 5th.
Again, any wind and I drop to 3rd full revs. A slight tail wind and I’m riding 5th gear and 80-85 with ease. But that’s a bit fast for the load I’ve got.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Heading south. No wind. 68ish mph. Mid 4th gear. 6.8mpg.

View attachment 166941

Heading north. Strong head wind. 60 mph. Higher in 3rd. 3.9mpg. But to be fair, this was climbing from St. George to cedar, which is a lot of up hill. Brought it up to 5.8 by the time I hit Fillmore.

View attachment 166940
I get better mileage in a 40k pound motorhome pulling a trailer even when I have a headwind. That thing is paying for itself in saved fuel.:rofl:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Is your e-brake engaged?
It doesn’t work anyway 🤣

To be fair to my truck, I push a lot of wind.
I’m only towing about 10k, but those SxS’s aren’t doing me any favors.

IMG_5537.jpeg

Coming down some of the mountain passes, north of beaver and north of Filmore, I still had to use throttle to maintain speed. The blowing wind and my tall wind catches slowed me too much.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It doesn’t work anyway 🤣

To be fair to my truck, I push a lot of wind.
I’m only towing about 10k, but those SxS’s aren’t doing me any favors.

View attachment 166952

Coming down some of the mountain passes, north of beaver and north of Filmore, I still had to use throttle to maintain speed. The blowing wind and my tall wind catches slowed me too much.
Wind drag is definitely the enemy, especially for gas motors. I’m just giving you a hard time and I expect the same treatment when my deeezul inevitably has emissions equipment issues

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Not exactly apples to apples for set ups, but my brother and I tracked our miles and fuel for our Thanksgiving trip.
I drove my set up. He has an ‘08 Cummins. He’s towing a large carbon 5th wheel. Maybe 20k lbs.
gas is about $1 cheaper than deisel in most places we saw.
He averaged 7.7 mpg, total cost of $288 for 566 miles.
I was 6.04 mpg. Total cost of $320 for 576 miles.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My truck is just about to roll 150,000 miles, so I gave her some special treatment today. Pulled the transmission pan for a drain and fill and new filter. Changed the transfer case fluid. Changed front and rear axle fluid.

Now I’ve got a 5 gallon bucket full of stinky oil. Most of the bottles I used to refill everything were quart sized, so I don’t have any big bottles to put the old oil in 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
My truck is just about to roll 150,000 miles, so I gave her some special treatment today. Pulled the transmission pan for a drain and fill and new filter. Changed the transfer case fluid. Changed front and rear axle fluid.

Now I’ve got a 5 gallon bucket full of stinky oil. Most of the bottles I used to refill everything were quart sized, so I don’t have any big bottles to put the old oil in 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
Buy a smudge pot