Jeepsterish Buggy

Bart

I've been thinking about this project for years, and had a plan to start this when I retired in 3 years. That timeframe accelerated when the Jeep part of the project fell into my lap and the price was too good to pass up. The first part of this build will probably take a year or two and will be all labor, and require a little space. Probably not the smartest choice for a buggy to invest time into cosmetics, but again, it's a vision that's been in the works for a while.

Haven't quite figured out a name for this project yet but it is being built around an early Willys Overland Jeepster hood and grill that I bought some time ago. I'm starting with a slightly wrecked YJ tub and bent YJ frame. The frame will most likely get scrapped, or just used for the part under the tub. The back end of the tub, behind the doors, will get cut and removed. Then comes the fun part. I'm going to narrow the body 2 to 4 inches to match the width of the Jeepster hood. Most of the floor and firewall will be removed, and then it will be sectioned back together. Once that's done I'll add tub corners to the shortened body and weld in a sectioned Willys tailgate. When it's finished it will have a small flatbed behind the narrowed body. Lots of work with only a vision but I'm looking forward to it.

hood.JPGYJ1.jpgYJ2.jpg

zgfiredude

Old Fart in Training...
What’s the hood ornament or badge behind the grill in the first picture?
It's the "Pierce" logo from a Fire Engine. Pierce, IMHO, builds the best/nicest fire apparatus out there. Built in Appleton, WI, they are a part of the Oshkosh truck family. A tour of their plant is drool worthy if you are ever back that way! More info than you asked for, LOL!

Ashcat

It's the "Pierce" logo from a Fire Engine. Pierce, IMHO, builds the best/nicest fire apparatus out there. Built in Appleton, WI, they are a part of the Oshkosh truck family. A tour of their plant is drool worthy if you are ever back that way! More info than you asked for, LOL!
That’s why I asked but wasn’t certain. I’m back that way, we live right in the heart of Seagrave/Pierce/Oshkosh territory. I wasn’t aware you could tour the plant. Might have to look into that some day.