Jiffy Lube inspection

shrubeck

Mmm Commulicious
Soooooo they failed me for fender flares, but didn't have any moral objection to making up brake measurements without bothering to pull a wheel and actually check... just sayin.
2010-07-30105156.jpg

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
That sure looks sufficiently covered to me...:confused:

Did they ding you for mudflaps (if you don't have them?)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
a) Stop going to Jiffy Lube for inspections.
b) Duct tape some licorice rope to the flare to have it passed, just to make a point. :D

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I usually go to Jiffy lube and have no problems.. that is being seriously picky to fail that..

shrubeck

Mmm Commulicious
Yeah a single strip electrical tape should stick out far enough to cover that extra 1/128" of tire. That or I'll add like 2 feet of flare on each side just to be sure. My halfassed mud flaps passed just fine even though they're about 2" above the tire center line. The funny thing is I went there because they're not a shop, so I figured they wouldn't try to ding me on something then offer to fix it (That and I had a coupon). Oh well lesson learned. I won't be back next year.

Anyone know if i have to get the retest at the same location? If not, I'll drive it two miles down the road to the next one and get it passed.

Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Most jiffy lubes use a plate brake tester. They don't have to check the brakes as long as it stops

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I recommend LKC in Pleasant Grove. I know for a fact that their Safety guy is an RME/U4/Dirt Hedz member. Not saying he is going to let stuff slide, but he understands.

stimmie

If you go somewhere else it'll pop up on the computer that it was failed at another station xxx days ago... not sure how long that lasts before it won't say that any more. I've had people want me to do an inspection and when it says they failed at another station and they haven't fixed the blatantly obvious problem I'll tell them to fix it first. But as for those flares, I think whomever was doing the inspection had a stick up their back side and just wanted to fail you.

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
Is it the jiffy lube on 800 N? if so go up to the shop behind master muffler, my dad goes there and never has a problem. Those flares cover more than most, even ones from the factory

jruss

I just had a great experience with Justin at Grease Monkey at 104th south and Redwood. I would recommend you go there. Autozone is within walking distance too, so if you have a bad brake light as I did, you can walk over there and fix it on the spot as well

shrubeck

Mmm Commulicious
It was the one in provo on Freedom. I figure it would pass somewhere else even with it popping up on the computer as rejected. I just don't want to have to pay for another inspection when I can get a free retest there.

Coco

Jiffy lube also uses a brake plate tester machine, if they used that they don't need to pull the wheels, and with one of those you could pretty much pass a safety with no brakes.

However, you did say they "made up" brake measurements, so they must not have used it. Take it to uhp.

shrubeck

Mmm Commulicious
Does the inspection sheet look different if they use a brake plate machine? Mine has pad measurements on it (3/32 front and 5/32 rear). If they did do it that way then I can't fault them for not pulling the wheels, but I am still going to ***** that failing my flares is way too picky.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Does the inspection sheet look different if they use a brake plate machine? Mine has pad measurements on it (3/32 front and 5/32 rear). If they did do it that way then I can't fault them for not pulling the wheels, but I am still going to ***** that failing my flares is way too picky.

It will look like a bar graph because it measures deceleration at each wheel