Jim Matheson vs. John Swallow, who will you vote for?

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
The following is a land use statement sent to me by the swallow campaign. It is something EVERYONE should read and then those of you in the second district should vote for the candidate that will best represent your values and ideals. Because we are a non-profit org. we cannot endorse a candidate or party. But we can help educate voters. This was sent to my directly from the Swallow campaign. Once you have decided who the best candidate is, spread the word, this congressional seat was lost by 1 or 2 percent last election, and the candidates were swallow and Matheson, so this is round two. Who will win? It’s up to you the voters.

Position Paper on Multiple Access of Land
John Swallow
September 30, 2004

Utah is a land-rich state. Our beautiful countryside has some of the earth’s greatest scenery and we enjoy abundant natural resources that are too valuable to ignore. Because I believe that we should both preserve and enjoy public lands and natural resources, my pledge is to fight for and preserve responsible access to our public lands.

Utah deserves a leader on land issues in Congress, someone who won’t be afraid to roll up his sleeves, bring stakeholders together and iron out real solutions to problems that have hamstrung multiple access for generations. Utah needs leadership on the RS 2477 MOUs, on revising the century-old Antiquities Act, on placing time limits on wilderness study areas and many other land use issues.

As someone from rural Utah, I will be that leader.

Unfortunately, our congressman is torn between his allegiance to party and family on the one hand, and his district on the other. He has hired a former SUWA executive as his advisor on land issues :mad2: and has failed to cooperate with local commissioners. He is ineffective and has failed to lead.

As a Republican in a conservative district, I would not be under the same extremist pressures as Jim Matheson. I have a history of fighting for responsible access. As the former President of Multiple Access Conservation Coalition (MACC), I helped lead the charge on access issues in our state. As a hunter and sportsman, I still enjoy that bond we share with nature, and will work to protect that right for generations to come.

In private life and as a three-term state representative, I have built a strong record of achievement as a leader who gets the job done. For example, under my direction, we were able to maintain the rights of individuals to use personal watercraft on Lake Powell. Twice, in fact, the Deseret News named me one of Utah’s top-five most effective legislators.

As the next congressman from Utah’s Second District, with your support, I look forward to bringing common sense solutions to resolve our multiple access issues. Now more than ever, we need a leader in Congress who can work with both sides to forge common ground and achieve long-overdue results. I look forward to working each day to conserve our lands for your use, and pledge to be a leader in that fight.