JK peeps, need some opinions, sleeve or truss?

kellerexpress

Jeep JK advice, sleeve or truss?

Wanted some opinions ....Im looking to beef up my front Dana 44 on my 08 JKU rubicon in the next few months.
I'm looking at options for reinforcing the housing and trying to decide between internal sleeves or doing an external truss. I would love some opinions as to which would be a better/stronger option. Thanks
529443_415880535130971_200210831_n.jpg
V.S.
tf4990700.jpg

Last edited:

Chevycrew

not a jk guy, but axle tech is axle tech...

The internal sleeves will beef the tube, but will not strengthen the area where the tubes meet the housing or any of the brackets. If you run and additional support to tie the 2 truss halves together it will be even stronger.

I vote truss with an additional over the top support.

Kssting

I did a lot of research on the different sleeves and truss kits and decided on the Artec kit because of all of the reinforcements that come in their kit. I haven't pulled the axle yet so I still need to install the truss but I have installed the gussets and control skids and they are well designed and very strong.

There are some discount codes on a few of the forums that will get you 15% off the kit.

Team1k

I actually put a artec truss on the rear axle in my jeep. It was nice that you had to weld it all together instead of a prefabbed one because it let me get everything to fit just right. My vote is also for truss.

STAG

On my grind
I put an Artec truss on my front axle. It is nice but there are some things I would have changed about it. And fit and finish I gave it a 4/5. It's just that the price was too good to pass up!

OB1

Glad you asked this question cause I too was thinking of doing the same kind of mod to the front axle of my 07 JKU Rubicon. Looks like the truss is the way to go.
Thanks

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I say truss as well. Not all aftermarket shafts are compatible with all sleeve kits. Truss seems stronger to me and you don't have to worry about what shafts you upgrade to in the future.

corbin.black

after these rubi axles are beefed up, would they hold up to 37's tires without worrying too much?
I will be installing JK rubi axles in my WJ soon and the axles have been trussed, sleeved and gusseted. I will most likely stay with my 35's but wanted to know if you guys think they would be good with 37's. and 37's is the limit as my wheel wells can only handle so much.

sixstringsteve

I'm no jeep expert, but once you truss it, your next weak link is going to be the axle shafts. I think 37's is pushing it on d44's. has it been done? Absolutely, but depending on your wheeling style, it may be a bit much. if you go with cro-mo shafts it'll move the weak link somewhere else... At that point I think it's worth going to 1-ton axles. It really depends on how you wheel it though.

corbin.black

I would like 1 tons but im still new and dont know how to fab everything to make it work with my jeep. ABS/brakes etc. the rubi axles im getting are pretty much ready to bolt in so thats why im getting them. Im not set on going 37's but just wanted to know if it was possible. ill be sticking to 35's for at least another couple years.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
JK guys are running 37's all the time on their 44's. Once the housing is strengthened it will hold up as long as you don't think you are in a rock racer or trophy truck.