JK Rubi-locker wiring meltdown

Fester

I have a JK Rubicon rear 44 in my ZJ (just purchased from Zombie recently).

I've researched the wiring and it should be a simple +/- 2 wire connection. Zombie had purchased the JK harness to plug into the housing. On Saturday I activated the rear locker and after a while I could smell something burning. It was the connection from the harness to the housing :eek:. Since the meltdown I checked the wiring and it is a +/- connection from a relay.

What would cause this? There is a 20 amp fuse before the relay.

Metering between the 2 wires that go into the diff I get about 3-4 ohms, but I get the same on the front diff so I think this is normal...?

Does anyone know if I can purchase the internal portion of the wiring and/or the male & female connection at the axle. I know I can get the exterior portion / the full harness (I think it was the female portion....can't tell, it burned up). Any dealer parts guys on here? I've called, around and checked the local dealer (Price) but I can't get a clear answer and the parts aren't in stock locally.

If I can't purchase the connection, any ideas on how to get a weather/water-proof connection? There is a very small amount of the 2 wires left sticking out of the connector at the housing.

Any help is appreciated. Also, this reminded me to pack an extinguisher!

Attachments

• IMG00283-20101023-1606.jpg
    IMG00283-20101023-1606.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG00287-20101023-1608.jpg
    IMG00287-20101023-1608.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG00288-20101024-1622.jpg
    IMG00288-20101024-1622.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 19

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I haven't heard back from anybody I've asked on this... and I haven't found any other instances of it happening online.

I'll keep checking.

You found anything yet?

Fester

I haven't heard back from anybody I've asked on this... and I haven't found any other instances of it happening online.

I'll keep checking.

You found anything yet?

Nothing yet. Panos might have the right part, or I'll go to a different dealership that might have the parts in stock to see if it is the right connector.

Anyone on here had to replace the connector?