JKRU front end noise/death wobble

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Our '08 Rubicon (D44 front) started to have a bit of a growl or rumble coming from the front end a couple weeks back which gradually got louder. My wife and I both agreed it sounded like it was coming from the driver's side. I figured it was a hub assembly, a very common issue on Jeeps, just like it had been on several other XJ/ZJ/TJ's we've owned in the past. I went ahead and ordered up a new hub assembly and waited for a free evening to swap it out.

So today, my wife gets on I-15 and hits a small pothole, which suddenly sends the Jeep into an unrecoverable death wobble. She hits the brakes, pulls over and calls me. I have her take slower side streets to her destination. She calls back in a bit and says the steering is starting to feel a bit vague, with more play than she's used to. I figure the hub assembly is nearing catastrophic failure and getting a lot of play in the bearings. So, I have her ditch the Jeep and we tow it home on a dolly. I pull the front end apart, and much to my surprise, the bearings feel smooth as butter. Now, I'm thinking it must have just been the passenger side, so I pull it all apart and find the exact same thing. Both bearings feel great.

Now on every other Mopar hub assembly I've ever replaced due to wear, the bearings have just felt a little rough when you roll the hub in your hand. I hate to throw in a new $130 part that I don't need.

Any other items to look at? The U-joints all seem ok (both axles, front driveshaft joint, rear driveshaft joint is CV). Brakes and rotors look perfect and near new. Ball joints are brand new MOOG, tie rod ends are all great.

I know a lot of stuff can contribute to death wobble, so that's more of a side question. My real question here is what else could have caused the rumble/grinding/growling noise from the front end while driving?

Thanks in advance - Jared

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hmmm.... that sounds pretty troubling. If the TRE's & ball joints are new & tight, I'd be suspect of the hub for the noise.... but I don't know that a bad hub would cause the death wobble.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Ever hear of a hub assembly that ran rough under the Jeep but rolled smoothly in hand? I haven't, and I've probably replaced 5 or 6 of these over the years on various vehicles.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Can't say that I have.... you would think with violent DW, the cause would be pretty evident. Have you watched the front-end components while someone turns the wheel, with the tires on the ground?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
With the key off, but on so you can still move the steering wheel, have you turned the steering wheel back and forth, violently? I too have replace all of the front end components and I don't have death wobble, but I do still have a slight loose click coming from the steering box or shaft. If you do have a click, grab each steering component until you feel in your hand which is the trouble spot.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I should have said, while you lay on the ground grabbing the steering components have someone else shake the steering wheel.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Also, I read that the track bar bolt holes can oblong and create death wobble. Take a good look at those while the shaking is going on.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Do what Shawn said, but do it with the engine running...the power steering is a lot stronger than your hands. If anything is loose, that's a good way to check. (primarily steering linkages and track bar bushings)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Something is loose in the steering or suspension components, possibly a bad tire with belt separating? I've killed a few unit bearings on my 2004 Dodge 2500 (similar suspensions) and didn't have death wobble.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I haven't really tried to diagnose the death wobble yet. But, I've been through it with probably 5 different Jeeps now and have found everything from worn ball joints, worn steering stabilizer, to bad control arm bushing. I'm sure I can get it pinned down.

My bigger concern right now is that, based on the sound coming from the front end, I have a drive train component or bearing about to self-destruct. I'll pull the front drive shaft tonight and see if it goes away.

Thanks, guys.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I have had noisy bearings that feel fine. While driving the jeep, swerve left and right, as the weight comes off the inside wheel, the sound will go away, indicating which wheel is making the sound.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I have had noisy bearings that feel fine. While driving the jeep, swerve left and right, as the weight comes off the inside wheel, the sound will go away, indicating which wheel is making the sound.

That's what I've done and it did change the sound to swerve left or right. I've just never had one of these feel fine off the Jeep when it was bad. If pulling the front drive shaft doesn't stop the sound I will replace that hub assembly.

I'll report back.

Thanks

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I replaced the hub assembly and the noise went away. I had figured for sure it was fine after handling it.

Everything on the front end feels pretty tight. But as the steering wheel is moved side to side, I can feel just the slightest little knock at the drag link/pitman arm joint, which is brand new. I'm wondering if the steering gear has a little play in the shaft.