Jeep JKU diesel engine discussion

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Most Jeep enthusiasts have been foaming at the mouth with the idea of a diesel engine in a Wrangler from the factory... looks like that idea is about become reality in the 2016 model! The Grand Cherokee and Dodge Ram Ecodiesel are sporting a 3.0l V6 that makes 240 HP and 420 FT/LBS! :greg: In the Grand Cherokee they're claiming over 700 miles out of a tank of fuel at 30 MPG! :freak:

According to this link, the JKU will have 3 different diesel engine options! -
http://www.2015bestcarsreviews.com/2015-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-diesel-changes-release-date/

The first is a 3.0-liter V6 EcoDiesel strength of 240 hp, which is already built into the fantastic Grand Cherokee. The second is the power roller 4 3.0 liter engine 2014 Ram Promaster strength of 174 hp. Another offered a diesel 4 cylinder 2.8 liter 197 hp engine strength.

Anyone else excited about the idea of a diesel Wrangler?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm excited about the ecodiesel for sure. In long term testing of the Ram1500 for edmunds(iirc) they've gotten an avg of 23 mixed driving, 27 highway and the lowest is 17. That's crazy for something that still has 420 ft/lbs. I might be able to talk my wife into letting me trade in my '12 Hemi for one if they continue to impress. The trade-off for more expensive fuel, 11Q oil changes, DEF etc might be a deal-killer but I'd need to run some numbers.

At the end of the day I'm just glad that they are bringing it to the mainstream much like ford brought the Egoboost. I'm sure it would be a riot in a JK Rubi.

Greg

Admin
I'd like to believe that, but that is a horribly written article

:rofl: Yeah it is...

I'm excited about the ecodiesel for sure. In long term testing of the Ram1500 for edmunds(iirc) they've gotten an avg of 23 mixed driving, 27 highway and the lowest is 17. That's crazy for something that still has 420 ft/lbs. I might be able to talk my wife into letting me trade in my '12 Hemi for one if they continue to impress. The trade-off for more expensive fuel, 11Q oil changes, DEF etc might be a deal-killer but I'd need to run some numbers.

At the end of the day I'm just glad that they are bringing it to the mainstream much like ford brought the Egoboost. I'm sure it would be a riot in a JK Rubi.

Agreed, massive torque numbers AND high MPG's are a game-changer for sure. DEF sucks but isn't a huge deal, sure it's a PITA but most truck stops are now selling it at the diesel pump.

Greg

Admin
Some more accurate Jeep diesel links-

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wrangler/2017.html

Many expect Jeep to finally issue a U.S. diesel version of the Wrangler, and a limited production pickup version (Gladiator? Comanche?). The engine would likely be the VM 3.0 liter V6 used in the Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee, though it could be a next-generation four-cylinder VM. European Wranglers have used four-cylinder VM diesels for many years.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I've also wondered (if this does happen) if it will be in the JK platform of the wrangler or if it will be the next platform. Only time will tell

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I would love to see a diesel in a JKU. I wouldn't be able to afford it, but it would be cool :)

Greg

Admin
I was hoping this was a build thread for Greg putting his 4BD1T diesel in a JK!

I wish! The JKU's electronics are so integrated into the vehicle it would be very hard for a guy working out of his garage to make it work!

I would love to see a diesel in a JKU. I wouldn't be able to afford it, but it would be cool :)

Agreed... what are kidney's worth again?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Having owned both a 2012 JKU and the same year Grand Cherokee, I noticed one big obstacle. The 3.6 doesn't even come close to filling the engine bay of the Cherokee. The diesel fills it. The 3.6 already fills the JK engine bay, so the Cherokee engine won't squeeze in there easily.

Greg

Admin
Hopefully this is true!

http://www.trucktrend.com/future-trucks/1509-snapped-2018-jeep-wrangler-hot-weather-testing/

UPDATE: Sources can confirm that the Wrangler will be available with the 3.0L EcoDiesel V-6 and eight-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission. There's no word on whether a manual transmission will be available with the EcoDiesel.

Outwardly, there’s not a lot to give away that this is the highly anticipated next-generation Jeep Wrangler. For all intents and purposes, it looks like a present-generation JK Rubicon two-door with a mesh mask over its grille and a flat-gray paintjob. However, a closer inspection reveals that this is not exactly your run-of-the-mill JK. Among several giveaways is a suspiciously low-hanging rear fuel tank. At first we thought it could be a diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) tank for the nearly certain diesel option, but we believe it’s just laying low because of the kludged body attached to the new chassis.

On the right side there’s what appears to be an electrical sensor wire running from underneath the hood and into the cab, indicating powertrain development testing. So what do we know for sure about the new JL Wrangler? We’re confident it will still have solid axles front and rear, a conventional two-speed transfer case, and a body-on-frame construction. There might be some aluminum on it, but we’ve been assured it will remain predominantly steel. Most models will get an eight-speed automatic, although we expect the six-speed manual to continue to be available. It will most likely get the next-generation Pentastar just announced for the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee as standard. The diesel option could either be the 3.0L VM Motori EcoDiesel used in the Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee or a 2.8L or 2.2L I-4. Regardless, expect at least 300 lb-ft of torque and well more than 400 if it’s the V-6.
The solid front and rear axles on this mule look to be significantly beefier than they are on the current Wrangler JK. Not only will these tougher axles provide better off-road performance and durability, they'll also allow for other body configurations to enter the mix. As before, the Wrangler will come in short- and long-wheelbase styles, but, like we reported earlier this week, Jeep's iconic off-roader will once again be available as a compact pickup (unseen in the Wrangler/CJ lineup since the dearly missed CJ-8). Those heavy-duty axles should safely enable a payload of at least 1,000 pounds in the Jeep pickup's bed, to say nothing of the added weight of the longer frame and body. It's yet to be ascertained whether the Wrangler truck will be a single-cab shortbed based on the Wrangler Unlimited's wheelbase or if it will come with its own longer wheelbase.

:freak: :bow:

rustyjeep21

If they do make a truck with a diesel and the nukizer front clip I will be camped out at the dealership waiting for the first one off the truck. However jeep likes to tease us with awesomeness then let us down.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
If they come out with the truck that will be way cool. I'll start saving my pennies so I can afford a used one in 2031 when it comes down to my price range.

Greg

Admin