Jeep JKU roof rack options

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I need some opinions here. I'm looking for a full length roof rack for my JKU, want something that looks clean, is capable of hauling a good amount of weight (possibly a RTT and it's occupants, so 500-600#'s or so when parked). There are a lot of options out there, but some of them look silly. One thing I really dislike are mounting tubes hanging down the sides of the Jeep... they make the rack look like a cheap after-thought, not a clean addition. Jeep recommends carrying NO WEIGHT on the JK hardtop... so that limits the options. Other factors to consider are how easy is it to remove the freedom panels and the rest of the hard top? I don't think I'll remove the full hard top too often, but like the idea of having it be a simple operation.

The best looking rack IMO is the Eezi-Awn K9 2.2 but noticed that it doesn't tie into the cage, body or frame... rather rest on the fiberglass hardtop ONLY. They don't provide a weight limit, but say it'll "carry any load" and even mention mounting a RTT to it. This doesn't seem like a great idea, but it looks like a clean, functional and low-profile rack and I like the way it looks. Here's the Eezi-Awn K9 - http://www.equipt1.com/item/k9-2-2-meter-roof-rack-system-for-jeep-wrangler-jk-4-dr#

Jeep%20JK%20Full%20Rack%201.jpg

The runner up is the Front-Runner Slimline II, which bolts to the windshield frame and thru the hard top to the roll bar. This seems like the cleanest and strongest option and I like how they have a dozen different accessories that work with their rack. Honestly this is what I'll probably end up with, I really do like it and you can remove the freedom panels while leaving the rack in place. To take off the rest of the hardtop, you have to unbolt the supports from the roll bar, which adds time to the job. You can run the roof rack w/o the hard top too. Here's the rack. - http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...ack-jeep-wrangler-jk-5-door.html#.VeG9U5erF6J

jeep-wrangler-jku-roof-rack-4-door-full-cargo-rack-front-runner-slimline-ii-extreme-KRJW014T-1.jpg

Another option is the Gobi Stealth rack, it's not bad looking but to make it a full length rack you have to add an additional basket that costs another $180, on top of the high (IMO) $1600 price tag! :eek: It ties into the frame and windshield brackets, but I don't know that I'm a fan of the round tubework and the part up front that's built for lights looks silly, IMO. My round tube rack on the Land Cruiser whistled in the wind and made a lot of noise. It comes with a ladder that mounts at the rear of the Jeep. You can remove both hardtop portions with the rack in place, which is nice. - http://www.gobiracks.com/racks_detail.cfm?ID=471

Gobi%20Jeep%20JK%204%20Door%202011-Stealth-Front%20full.jpg

There is also the Garvin Expedition rack.... I don't like the look at all and you have to drill into the body panels for the rear mounting points. It's one of the least expensive options, but is a full-length rack. - http://www.wildernessracks.com/inde...expedition-rack-07-14-jk-wrangler-4-door.html

44074a.jpg

Honorable mentions... there a few other options that aren't full length, but are still worth mentioning. I'm not considering these due not being full length, lack of weight carrying capability and just plain looks.

The Rhino Rack Backbone, with a 260# limit. It has a small internal frame wrapping around the rear window to distribute weight, but limited in load capacity.

The AEV Roof Rack, which ties into the roll bar, but it's a 3/4 length rack and for some reason I don't care for the looks at all. AEV won't put a number on weight capacity, but say it will carry a RTT.

What are your opinions? I'm leaning towards the Front Runner Slimline II but wanted some input from others.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
The LoD rack? Its on slides and is full length, did you see that one?

I went through this same thing when I had my 2 door. I was concerned about the roof supporting all the weight and felt like the Gobis were just too expensive. (seems like they've gone up in price since then too.) This is what led to me building my trailer, along with the need for a yard hauler...

Good luck.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
The LoD rack? Its on slides and is full length, did you see that one?

I went through this same thing when I had my 2 door. I was concerned about the roof supporting all the weight and felt like the Gobis were just too expensive. (seems like they've gone up in price since then too.) This is what led to me building my trailer, along with the need for a yard hauler...

Good luck.

I have seen that one, but forgot about it. Seems like it has a lot going on... the sliding feature is interesting, seems like it's more for taking the soft top off and on. The bracketry to mount it is a bit much, but I'm sure it needs the extra support for the sliding rack. I actually like the look of the basket, just wish it were full length all the way to the windshield! If I get a rack, I'd like it to be the same size as the top to maximize storage space. The rack itself is $1500 and adding the flooring for the rack is another $300, making it one of the most expensive options.

JK's just don't have a lot of storage room, have to make the most of it somehow! I don't blame you on the trailer, we had a 4x6 utility trailer that I mounted our RTT on and it was nice, but I don't really want to haul a trailer around behind me all the time. We're headed back to Baja later this year and I need to be easily mobile and capable of hauling all our camping gear easily. I think the right roof rack will do the job well.

Pike2350

I need some opinions here. I'm looking for a full length roof rack for my JKU, want something that looks clean, is capable of hauling a good amount of weight (possibly a RTT and it's occupants, so 500-600#'s or so when parked). There are a lot of options out there, but some of them look silly. One thing I really dislike are mounting tubes hanging down the sides of the Jeep... they make the rack look like a cheap after-thought, not a clean addition. Jeep recommends carrying NO WEIGHT on the JK hardtop... so that limits the options. Other factors to consider are how easy is it to remove the freedom panels and the rest of the hard top? I don't think I'll remove the full hard top too often, but like the idea of having it be a simple operation.

I think you're going to have a hard time finding a rack that can hold that kind of weight that doesn't have the legs that come down. Another option (although I don't like the look of it) is the Smittybilt SRC rack. It can hold up to 700lbs, which is nice, but it seems to stick too far away from the body/top for my tastes...but this does allow the tops to be removed (with the hardtop you have to remove the crossbars....but it does show a RTT on it...and Smittybilt even offers a RTT...in getting the link online it shows 300lb limit, while the catalog shows a 700lb limit...so I'm not 100% sure, but with the RTT on it, I would assume the 700lb limit would be more accurate.

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/14.htm

122074-lg.jpg

RTT on it

206012-lg.jpg

http://www.smittybilt.com/overlander

There is also the Kargo Master....it mounts down on teh bumper (maybe to the frame) and doe the whole "pivot" to allow taking the top off easier. It says it can hold up to 500lbs...and it pretty cheap.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12138_006_07.htm

Last edited:

Box Rocket

bored
Maybe I shouldn't be "spilling the beans" but the guys at Teraflex have been working on a rack for the JKU. I was able to check it out when I was there doing a demo with Tepui Tents. Looks like a very nice rack and in Teraflex form it looks like a factory option. Very clean. I don't know when it will hit the market but maybe something to keep an eye out for.

Greg

Admin
I think you're going to have a hard time finding a rack that can hold that kind of weight that doesn't have the legs that come down. Another option (although I don't like the look of it) is the Smittybilt SRC rack. It can hold up to 700lbs, which is nice, but it seems to stick too far away from the body/top for my tastes...but this does allow the tops to be removed (with the hardtop you have to remove the crossbars....but it does show a RTT on it...and Smittybilt even offers a RTT...in getting the link online it shows 300lb limit, while the catalog shows a 700lb limit...so I'm not 100% sure, but with the RTT on it, I would assume the 700lb limit would be more accurate.

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/14.htm

122074-lg.jpg

RTT on it

206012-lg.jpg

http://www.smittybilt.com/overlander

There is also the Kargo Master....it mounts down on teh bumper (maybe to the frame) and doe the whole "pivot" to allow taking the top off easier. It says it can hold up to 500lbs...and it pretty cheap.

Man, that Smittybuilt SRC rack is hideous... everything I would ever dislike in a roof rack, all in one! :D No offense, I appreciate the info.

I actually ordered the Front Runner Slimline II yesterday, it's rated at 600#'s dynamic (moving) load, will do all I need and more.

Front runner. Still saving my pennies for one for my Disco. lots of cool add ons for them! I love the low profile look as well.

I've got one on the way!

Maybe I shouldn't be "spilling the beans" but the guys at Teraflex have been working on a rack for the JKU. I was able to check it out when I was there doing a demo with Tepui Tents. Looks like a very nice rack and in Teraflex form it looks like a factory option. Very clean. I don't know when it will hit the market but maybe something to keep an eye out for.

Damn! My FrontRunner is on the way!

Rock Taco

I know Greg already made his decision (good one by the way) but it looks like the Kargo Master price on that link is just for the basic tube work. Then you have to buy what ever other accessories you need. So it then becomes quite pricy for a very unattractive (my opinion) roof rack.

[h=3]Parts Included[/h]
  • Two Cross Tubes
  • Front "U" Bar
  • Front Legs
  • Front Mount Plates
  • Rear "U" Bar
  • Rear Legs
  • Rear Leg Mount Plates
  • Two 1/2" x 3/4" Hex Bolts
  • Two 1/2" Lock Washers
  • Two 1/2" SAE Flat Washers
  • Two 5/16" x 5" Hex Bolts
  • Two 5/16" x 1 1/4" Hex Bolts
  • 12 5/16" Nyloc Nuts
  • Ten 5/16" Flat Washers
  • Eight 5/16" x 2" Button Head Bolts
  • Six 1/4" x 20 x 1" Thread Cutting Screws
  • Six 1/4" Lock Washers
  • Six 1/4" SAE Flat Washers
  • Eight 5/16"-18 x 1" Flat Head Allen Bolts
  • Two 5/16"-18 x 1" Button Head Bolts
  • Two 5/16" Lock Washers

Bryan_FRO

The best looking rack IMO is the Eezi-Awn K9 2.2 but noticed that it doesn't tie into the cage, body or frame... rather rest on the fiberglass hardtop ONLY. They don't provide a weight limit, but say it'll "carry any load" and even mention mounting a RTT to it. This doesn't seem like a great idea, but it looks like a clean, functional and low-profile rack and I like the way it looks. Here's the Eezi-Awn K9 - http://www.equipt1.com/item/k9-2-2-meter-roof-rack-system-for-jeep-wrangler-jk-4-dr#

Jeep%20JK%20Full%20Rack%201.jpg

The runner up is the Front-Runner Slimline II, which bolts to the windshield frame and thru the hard top to the roll bar. This seems like the cleanest and strongest option and I like how they have a dozen different accessories that work with their rack. Honestly this is what I'll probably end up with, I really do like it and you can remove the freedom panels while leaving the rack in place. To take off the rest of the hardtop, you have to unbolt the supports from the roll bar, which adds time to the job. You can run the roof rack w/o the hard top too. Here's the rack. - http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...ack-jeep-wrangler-jk-5-door.html#.VeG9U5erF6J

jeep-wrangler-jku-roof-rack-4-door-full-cargo-rack-front-runner-slimline-ii-extreme-KRJW014T-1.jpg

Another option is the Gobi Stealth rack, it's not bad looking but to make it a full length rack you have to add an additional basket that costs another $180, on top of the high (IMO) $1600 price tag! :eek: It ties into the frame and windshield brackets, but I don't know that I'm a fan of the round tubework and the part up front that's built for lights looks silly, IMO. My round tube rack on the Land Cruiser whistled in the wind and made a lot of noise. It comes with a ladder that mounts at the rear of the Jeep. You can remove both hardtop portions with the rack in place, which is nice. - http://www.gobiracks.com/racks_detail.cfm?ID=471

Gobi%20Jeep%20JK%204%20Door%202011-Stealth-Front%20full.jpg

There is also the Garvin Expedition rack.... I don't like the look at all and you have to drill into the body panels for the rear mounting points. It's one of the least expensive options, but is a full-length rack. - http://www.wildernessracks.com/inde...expedition-rack-07-14-jk-wrangler-4-door.html

44074a.jpg

Honorable mentions... there a few other options that aren't full length, but are still worth mentioning. I'm not considering these due not being full length, lack of weight carrying capability and just plain looks.

The Rhino Rack Backbone, with a 260# limit. It has a small internal frame wrapping around the rear window to distribute weight, but limited in load capacity.

The AEV Roof Rack, which ties into the roll bar, but it's a 3/4 length rack and for some reason I don't care for the looks at all. AEV won't put a number on weight capacity, but say it will carry a RTT.

What are your opinions? I'm leaning towards the Front Runner Slimline II but wanted some input from others.

Hey Greg,

Let us know if you ever have any questions on our Front Runner Products. We are happy to help and/or answer any questions you may have.

Respectfully,
Bryan Rush
FrontRunnerOutfitters.com

Pike2350

Man, that Smittybuilt SRC rack is hideous... everything I would ever dislike in a roof rack, all in one! :D No offense, I appreciate the info.

I agree...it's terrible, bulky, sticks far out, and being Smittybilt, the quality can be hit or miss....just giving the option. I think you made a good choice, it's nice and tight fit.

I also realized the Kargo Master was tube work only...but since I wasn't sure what options he'd want, I figured I just throw it out there.

Greg

Admin
Hey Greg,

Let us know if you ever have any questions on our Front Runner Products. We are happy to help and/or answer any questions you may have.

Respectfully,
Bryan Rush
FrontRunnerOutfitters.com

Hi Bryan, welcome to RME! I'm surprised to see someone here from Front Runner Outfitters, but happy that you did register and post up! My Slimline II is on the way, will be here Thursday and I'll install it then. I added the the water tank & mount and will add other accessories over time, really like how modular the rack and options are! If I have any questions, I'll be sure to get in touch. Thanks!

I agree...it's terrible, bulky, sticks far out, and being Smittybilt, the quality can be hit or miss....just giving the option. I think you made a good choice, it's nice and tight fit.

I also realized the Kargo Master was tube work only...but since I wasn't sure what options he'd want, I figured I just throw it out there.

Totally agree on the comments about quality... I was looking for a rack that essentially a full basket, rather than just the frame structure. The things I hate about that Smittybuilt are the huge tubes, how far off the body it sits and those ugly supports running down the sides. Yeah, I'm a bit picky. :D

Bryan_FRO

Hi Bryan, welcome to RME! I'm surprised to see someone here from Front Runner Outfitters, but happy that you did register and post up! My Slimline II is on the way, will be here Thursday and I'll install it then. I added the the water tank & mount and will add other accessories over time, really like how modular the rack and options are! If I have any questions, I'll be sure to get in touch. Thanks!

Hey Greg,

Saw your write up on Expedition Portal.

The rig is looking awesome! Thank you for the write up! Send us some shots when you get it in the wild!

Bryan Rush
Bryan@FrontRunnerOutfitters.com

pkrfctr

Nothing useful to add other than a few jku's I saw last week. There were two or three jku's on fordyce with racks. Those bad boys were loaded! Two layers deep. I'll admit I was jealous of the room as we ran it in one day because we couldnt fit camping gear. I've wondered what its like rock crawling with that much weight up high.

Greg

Admin
Nothing useful to add other than a few jku's I saw last week. There were two or three jku's on fordyce with racks. Those bad boys were loaded! Two layers deep. I'll admit I was jealous of the room as we ran it in one day because we couldnt fit camping gear. I've wondered what its like rock crawling with that much weight up high.

My rack was put to use on our Rubicon trip, it was nice to have all we needed and more, but you felt the weight on the tippy parts!