JKUR best years

Thursty

Hey guys! Like a few here lately I'm also looking to tap into the RME hive mind. I have a coworker who is very interested in buying a four-door Rubicon of some vintage. Based on her budget I’m guessing her options will be limited to higher mileage JKURs. I know very little about “newer” Jeeps other than what I’ve gleaned from you all here. So, my question for the group is, what are the best years for the JK platform to look for? Hopefully I can help keep her from buying a total lemon.

Agility Customs

Vendor
Lowest cost of ownership longterm is the 2007-2011 3.8 Liter JKs. They are more reliable but SUPER Gutless. The interior in the 2012+ JKs Is way better and they are more enjoyable to drive due to the 5 speed transmission and more horsepower.

Overall if this is her daily driver tell her not to buy one

Pick your poison

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'd shoot for a '14+, many of the '12 &'13's (first year of the 3.6 Pentastar) had engine issues (casting sand, head gaskets) including my '12.

The 3.8 is terribly gutless, 200 HP... not nearly enough for a Jeep.

Agility Customs

Vendor
I'd shoot for a '14+, many of the '12 &'13's (first year of the 3.6 Pentastar) had engine issues (casting sand, head gaskets) including my '12.

The 3.8 is terribly gutless, 200 HP... not nearly enough for a Jeep.

To expand on this ALL High Mileage 3.6s including JKs and JLs have cam issues. We talk to atleast one Jeep owner a week currently dealing with it.

the 3.6 JK is by far the more enjoyable Jeep to drive but be prepared for some costly engine repairs down the road.

Agility Customs

Vendor
Her daily commute will be very short so hopefully this won’t be an issue.

What mileage range are we looking at here?
I have seen it as early as 50k and I want to say its roughly a $3000 repair. There is also a HUGE class action against FCA for the valvetrain issues. There is tons of info on it on the google if you want to inform yourself a little more

Last edited:

85CUCVKRAWLER

I feel like half the JK owners I run into on the trails either have already replaced their engine once, or know the leaking PCV is a sign they are due to replace their engine soon

85CUCVKRAWLER

I have seen it as early as 50k and I want to say its roughly a $3000 repair. There is also a HUGE class action against FCA for the valvetrain issues. There is tons of info on it on the google if you want to inform yourself a little more

lol i am involved as an expert for another lawsuit against FCA for something not related to jeep.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
As I understand from my go to mechanic, one big issue with the valve train on a high mileage 3.6 is the hydraulic cam chain tensioners start to fail.

I bought my 12 JKU with about 160k on it. Knew what my risks were but was willing since the price was right for what was in it with the long arm kit and Terra 44 housing. I started to have problems with the hydraulic cam chain tensioners at about 185k. That motor got replaced with a used 3.6. Everything was fine until the transmission started to have problems. Right before I brought it to you for the work you did I came across a complete drivetrain out of a an 18 Rubicon with only 30k. I picked that up for a steal a swapped out everything. So now I have a 190k miles on my odometer with a 35k mile drivetrain.