Jrat's Sixty9

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If you don't know what this is, it's a dropout, 9"-style Dana60-geared axle-- fabbed housing, flippable center section... and unlike the awesome Super14 that PortalTek f***ed up, this one is actually going to be produced in quantity. This got posted on Pirate today:

I don't have a 100% on the price but I dont want to go over $1200 for the drop out and $550 for the housing. I really want to make it lower but we'll see how the foundry and machine costs go.

$1800ish! woo hoo! If you've already got a 60, that's pretty damn good. For custom fab, this is going to rock. For people like me who want to upgrade their pre-existing 60's, this is going to rock. :D

It is really something, the choices we have these days in components.

Caleb

How is it going to help anyone that already has a 60? Other than being able to re-use gears and lockers...which in the grand scheme of a custom axle, are generally not the expensive parts. It'll be interesting to see if/how it comes together.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Well you can also scavenge the C's, outer knuckles/spindles, axle shafts. Pretty much everything but the housing. I would much rather use all new beefier parts but for those on a budget you use as much as you already have.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
that's kind of what I'm thinking: when it's time to upgrade to links or something... or building a buggy on the cheap.

although.. now that I'm thinking about it, the main utility is the high pinion, and you'd need new gears for that anyway...

leorn

reset
stronger, more compact, the high pinion option without having to redo everything, being able to weld to the center and housing, easier to setup gears, option to bring a spare third with gears already set up

Full disclosure, I wheel with Jason every year at jeep safari. He is the type of guy who spends more time fixing everybody else's rigs than they do. I'm excited for him, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I saw the thirds when he came through vegas. Sick!!!

JRATOFFROAD

Thank You Ben! Yes the main reason I decided to go with a drop out 60 is there is so many endless options for the 60 just like a 9". With the option to run high or low pinion "readily availability gear sets", 8620 steel housing "2-3 times stronger then Nodular Iron housing" also the very same material that most good gear sets are made out of. Side adjusters for a 60 made from 958 Nickle, aluminum, bronze which will not seize against the Steel. The 958 Bronze is stronger then the steel carrier. The 8620 steel is also a work hardened steel which means the more you work it the stronger it gets so you have less worry about galling the threads and pulling threads. The bearing caps are also keyed for greater strength. Dan at ruffstuff did an amazing job with the housing.
3.5"x3/8" wall tubes. The ability of 4" tubes and up to 1/2" think tubes. He will also be making his very nice trusses and mounting hardware for the housing. Thanks Jason Ratcliff

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Sounds really cool, i don't know why all axles aren't drop out style?? Thats one of the reasons i love toyota drivetrains, and ford 9 inchers