junkyard freespin kit - 94-99 cummins

leorn

reset
I posted this elsewhere, but thought I would share here. I am just stoked to finally have a tow rig!!! It all started because my ball joints went bad, so I figured while I was there...

Parts list and notes:
  1. spindles out of a ball joint (91-98) ford F250-350 with (look for the large lock out hubs as this is a sign of the right stuff)
  2. 1979 ford F 250 4x4 brake rotors Raybestos 6084R (allows the dodge brake calipers to work with out a spacer between the hub and rotor) The stock dodge rotors will work with a spacer.
  3. New bearings,seals,u joints for the ford front end they are the same for a lot of years between Ford Dodge & GM.
  4. (8) gr10.9 m14x1.5 nuts to mount the ford spindle to the stock dodge bolts.
  5. (2) Ford 92-98 dana 60 outer shafts (78-91 may work but you will have to grind slot for the outer snap ring) I used a 78-79 shaft and did this on one side

Tools:
9/16 drill bit (drill press would be nice, but I didn't use one)
snap ring pliers
sledge
ball joint press w/4x4 adapter set
punch
ford knuckle bearing socket (4-prong)
a few blocks of wood
breaker bar
3/8" threaded rod if you want to replace the spindle bearings
very small screwdriver
propane torch
brake cleaner
pb blaster
torque wrench

Process is:
  1. Remove all dodge components down to the knuckles.
  2. remove stub shaft from inner and attach dana 60 shaft.
  3. drill the Ford spindle to the 4 bolt dodge pattern. (Ford is 5)
  4. insert axle shaft and support u-joint with rags to save the seal.
  5. bolt cleaned spindle to dodge knuckle
  6. hammer out wheel studs from ford rotor/hub.
  7. hammer/press wheel studs into 79 Ford rotor
  8. bolt on remaining ford parts
non-junkyard product pictures here: 94-99 SRW Dodge Hub Conversion [HC-94D-30] - $995.00 : EMS Offroad, Custom 4x4 Fabrications do it yourself and save some cash for another project.

Notes:
  1. The U-joint snap rings were a pain, but persistence finally paid off. I used a screwdriver and sledge. I'm sure there is a special snap ring plier for this.
  2. Be very precise in drilling the spindle. If the holes are off the spindle can't press in. I ended up needing to enlarge a couple of holes slightly with a cutting bit to make it work. It also helps to clean up the spindle and knuckle with a wire wheel.
  3. To remove the spindle bearings tighten two nuts around a washer or two on the 3/8" rod. Insert through the hub end and use a hammer to persuade it out. Note the depth of the bearing. It does not press all the way in. (if you are replacing them)
  4. Remember heat always helps break loose stubborn hardware.
  5. I used the socket extension method to push the unit bearing out of the knuckle. It was nice to have a helper turn the wheel. I did not need to turn on the vehicle to do mine.
  6. It took a lot longer than I anticipated due to all the little things I ended up needing plus the u-joints and reaming.
  7. Definitely feels a lot better on the test drive. I can feel that there is less drag when I am rolling. Glad its done, but worth it!
  8. I think the dana 50 ford rotors would work if you are willing to cut up your knuckle and remove the castings around the brake caliper, but that was not something I wanted to do. I don't know if they would clear the back of the caliper though since they are larger diameter.
  9. dana 50 stubs will not work. at least not my 97 axle. U-joints are smaller.

cost:
$150 complete 97 ttb dana 50 axle to my door (broken stub and u-joint)
$155 (2) dana 60 shafts
$120 (2) 1979 f250 rotors
$100 (approx) in buying the nuts, bits, a couple seals etc that needed replacing. I did not replace every bearing and seal. Most were in good condition.

Other options:
ford Dana 60 spindles can be used and will work with the stock rotors without a spacer supposedly.
You can swap the entire knuckle from a ford balljoint dana 60 and also use the larger ford dual piston brakes and rotors. (the preferred route, but a bit more money for 60 parts)

Edit:
It was time to change brakes which always seems to require rotors for me, since I had the rotors and brakes from the dana 50, I bought some used ford knuckles for $200. For about the same cost of new pads and rotors I had the huge ford brakes.

Now that I have done both, there is no question that you should due the knuckle/brake swap. Well worth it! Also the hubs lock in better. I ended up having to run snap rings on the shaft before.

I also did a cad delete/single shaft upgrade at the same time that I really liked. I was surprised to have to drop the carrier!

Last edited: