Just another Moab Trip - Oct 7-10

sixstringsteve

Short answer: Fender is a Xoloitzcuintle (or Xolo for short)

Long answer: Sometimes called a "mexican hairless." Almost all of them are born with little or no hair, but one in every litter typically is "coated" with fur/hair. Fender happened to be the only one in his litter who was born with hair. Both his parents were hairless. If he fathered puppies, 4/5 of them would be hairless. I'm allergic to certain dogs, so our selection was limited, but now that I know what I do, I would pick a Xolo every time, even if I weren't allergic.

A VERY cool breed with an awesome history. The breed is 3000 years old. The Mayans used them for food, companionship, and religious rituals. They were often buried alive with their dead masters in order to help guide their masters to the afterlife so they didn't get lost along the way. They almost went extinct in the 1950's, and there are currently only 2 xolos in Utah.

Since the purebreds haven't mixed with other breeds for 3000 years, they're extremely hardy. They don't have any physical or psychological defects. They have a different personality over any dog I've ever seen, but I love it. They're extremely loyal to their one family and are slow and trust others, but he is extremely friendly towards all other dogs and people.

They are 3 general sizes of Xolos. Small (purse dog size), Intermediate (like Fender, who weighs 30-35 lbs), and Large (65 lbs, taller than a lab but more slender). They're very hardy and extremely athletic. A large Xolo can jump a 6 foot fence. Fender's favorite things are Chicken, riding in the car, frisby, tearing things apart, going camping, and exploring nature on hikes.

Anyway, I'm sure that's way more info than you wanted to know, but there you have it.

Last edited:

Coco

Awesome report steve!!! That is a trip similar to what I wanna do someday, expedition/trails/hikes etc. (ever since I watched the "dangerous drives" extreme offroading episode) I have always wanted to do an expedition, with wheeling in between. I just need to get another rig first

sixstringsteve

Awesome report steve!!! That is a trip similar to what I wanna do someday, expedition/trails/hikes etc. (ever since I watched the "dangerous drives" extreme offroading episode) I have always wanted to do an expedition, with wheeling in between. I just need to get another rig first

yeah, it paid off to have a street legal rig this time. The route we took would not have been possible with a tow rig/trailer. This is exactly what I built my rig for. A little exploring, a little rock crawling, a little hiking, camping, etc. It works for me.

I actually had more fun exploring the backcountry than doing the rock crawling this time. It was a great time.

Great report Steve. Looks like fun was had by all.

Thanks Bart, I'd love to hit a trail with ya sometime.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I spy the dreamtimes in the back of your truck. No wonder it was such a good nights sleep.

Looks like you are ready for some bigger slot canyons. lets go!

sixstringsteve

Yeah, those dreamtimes are AMAZING. I sleep better in the back of my truck than I do at home.

I need to get a harness and some basic climbing gear (ropes), but I'm ready for some bigger stuff.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have plenty of stuff for all in your party to borrow before you buy. What I am trying to say is dont let the gear stop you.