just got off the phone with the AF Canyon ranger station

sixstringsteve

and last question i have a few pictures of some people going up plates and all but i dont feel it right to post where should i send them to? anyone have an address

that's a good question. I'd call the PG Forest service and see what they say.

390 North 100 East
Pleasant Grove, UT 84062-2350
(801) 785-3563

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
That's why I want a gun that kills people just for a little while... when they wake up, they'll know they were a dumbass

and last question i have a few pictures of some people going up plates and all but i dont feel it right to post where should i send them to? anyone have an address

call the forest service and tell them you have pics with plate numbers of illegal wheelin, they will have you email them the pics with a report then they will take it from there, then later on if a full conviction happens you will receive a check in the mail.

i've turned in many mostly when i lived in moab, but have turned in quite a few from the northern area also.

kyojin

I was just up there today and asked one of the ladies in the booth when Mineral Basin and Forest Lake would be open. She said that Mineral basin is open and that Forest Lake wouldn't be for a while. Makes me wonder if she knows where Mineral basin is because we had a few guys that were there just a few days ago.

00harpdawg

Mineral basin is open. I talked to the ranger they just asked not to go past the snow. I understand its common sense to us but what about the other 90% of wheelers these so called boulders blocking the trail are nothing they need better signs

Manlaan

Mineral basin is open. I talked to the ranger they just asked not to go past the snow. I understand its common sense to us but what about the other 90% of wheelers these so called boulders blocking the trail are nothing they need better signs

I 100% agree. I only looked briefly when I was helping to get a guy out of the river, but I didn't notice any notes of any type saying that the trail was closed. I did know it was closed that day only because I asked about it when entering (and this forum), but other than that, there's no way I would've known. The boulders themselves really dont look all that large since the water is about level with them, so they could easily be seen as erosion breaks or a poor attempt at a dam to keep water off the road, if they were noticed at all.

What they really need to have is a large (at least 8x5x11) sign in a bright color that just says "Closed", and maybe a chain across the entrance so there is no question that it is closed.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I 100% agree. I only looked briefly when I was helping to get a guy out of the river, but I didn't notice any notes of any type saying that the trail was closed. I did know it was closed that day only because I asked about it when entering (and this forum), but other than that, there's no way I would've known. The boulders themselves really dont look all that large since the water is about level with them, so they could easily be seen as erosion breaks or a poor attempt at a dam to keep water off the road, if they were noticed at all.

What they really need to have is a large (at least 8x5x11) sign in a bright color that just says "Closed", and maybe a chain across the entrance so there is no question that it is closed.

The rules say that it's your responsibility to know the rules.

Coco

i was up there today the rangers said mineral basin is open now but not to go past where the snow is on the road we got up to the iron flats and thats where we were stopped by snow but one thing i did notice if the ranger didnt tell us that forest lake was closed i would have never known is there anything we can do to block it off better temporaly or at least some signs people are right the rocks they used to block the trail are nothing

I was up there yesterday with my buddy, and we got to Forest Lake, to see a couple 4wheelers that had crossed the river, and one had issues with the clutch slipping (polaris' awesome clutch design :rolleyes: ) anyway, we helped them get out, and then noticed the very little sign stating the trail was closed. Just as the guys on the 4wheelers were getting out of the river, a ranger pulled up, and had no clue that forest lake was closed???

I was sure that forest lake was open, thinking the little sign at the bottom was just telling people of the trail. (and with no posting at the fee station with the other trail closures) But my buddy pointed out that it does state it was closed. Maybe a little bigger sign or something would help in this situation. Another thing I noticed is when entering the canyon, at the fee station, they had a list of trails that were closed, and forest lake wasnt on that list? (that I think is why I was thinking it was open)

Anyway, moral to the story, maybe the rangers need a little more knowledge or help to show forest lake is closed, the one ranger we talked to yesterday really had no clue. Then the little sign, I think some look at and say, "oh there just telling about the trail" (I am guilty there) then with no posted closing of the trail at the fee station, some would simply think it is open.

for those wondering, no we didnt go up Forest Lake ;)

Last edited:

Coco

I agree with you 100%

The rules say that it's your responsibility to know the rules.

Why rely on someones "responsibility" to know the rules, when in the mean time, people are going up the trail, causing more damage, and maybe resulting in a closed trail? When a simple sign and/or chain will (hopefully) keep more people out than someones "responsibility"?

Maybe we as RME'rs can plan a day to go up there and fence off Forest Lake and get a sign made to help out the forest service?

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Maybe we as RME'rs can plan a day to go up there and fence off Forest Lake and get a sign made to help out the forest service?

Wasn't there a 4x4 club that had adopted Forest Lake? I would assume the forest service would be working with them or vice versa as the adoption was done just for these types of reasons... :ugh:

/unneeded jab complete

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Well at least the signs are still there! In my opinion, they are quite obvious. But then again, I'm not your typical WalMart shopper and I notice the world around me without bright flashing lights and loudspeakers. Perhaps thats why the FS decided to make them small, avoid having to replace them every time some yolkel takes it upon them self to make that "executive decision" and open the trail.
Moral of the story, pay attention and look around. And, as Joseph said, it's your responsibility to know before you go. If you're not informed, like so many things, you really shouldn't be out there.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Wasn't there a 4x4 club that had adopted Forest Lake? I would assume the forest service would be working with them or vice versa as the adoption was done just for these types of reasons... :ugh:

/unneeded jab complete

What's up Tooele not part of the fun over there anymore?

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Why rely on someones "responsibility" to know the rules, when in the mean time, people are going up the trail, causing more damage, and maybe resulting in a closed trail? When a simple sign and/or chain will (hopefully) keep more people out than someones "responsibility"?

Because thems the rules yo. If people will not be responsible the trails just close permanently. The Fed is not going to actively patrol trails and if it gets out of control, it's easier to manage a closed trail then an open one.

sixstringsteve

If you're not informed, like so many things, you really shouldn't be out there.

I completely agree. However, I'd say 90% of the people up the canyon are uninformed. It seems that most people here on RME are informed and are not the offenders. The offenders either don't understand the rules (easy to fix), or they don't care about them (not so easy to fix).

If people will not be responsible the trails just close permanently. The Fed is not going to actively patrol trails and if it gets out of control, it's easier to manage a closed trail then an open one.

I completely agree. However, if I think back to when I was a teen and I went offroading, I didn't know there were rules. If there was a road and it didn't have a big "road closed" sign, I drove on it. Now I know better. But I think there's more we can do to help educate these people than to simply expect them to know the rules. I think a huge sign that says "trail closed to all vehicles, $500 fine" or something like that would get the message across.

Once again, i don't think responsible wheelers are the offenders. I think it's the guys who go up there once a year, see a trail, don't notice the sign, and tear up the trail without a thought. And I don't think they do it maliciously. They just don't know any better.

I completely agree. However, I'd say 90% of the people up the canyon are uninformed. It seems that most people here on RME are informed and are not the offenders. The offenders either don't understand the rules (easy to fix), or they don't care about them (not so easy to fix).

i can't completely agree, unfortunately over the yrs i have turned in quite a few RME'rs from 5mile to AF canyon to moab for plainly driving where they know they shouldn't, and the sad part is most i knew was on rme and i would talk to them first about it to be nice. and with the exception of probably 2 the rest pretty told me to shut the **** up. so i sent in the pics.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
So what we're saying is the Fed is doing a piss-poor job at land management; it's failed to educate the public, it's failed to enforce it's own laws and they see their failures as ours. They close roads because it's the path of least resistance. So who then should manage the land in UT? I hope to see you all out at the Take Back UT! rally on August 20 Take Back UT! just sayin'