Keep it or not?

JeeperG

Ok so awhile back I did something bad to the overly huge 2.5 liter in my YJ, I have yet to have it looked at and to my best unedumacated guess it may be a main bearing? Well anyway shortly after that my DD 86 golf ran into more issues on top of the ones it already had and I really didn't want to waste money fixing them, So I picked me up a 2000 XJ for a all around driver to replace both vehicles. Now that I have a more reliable vehicle I would like to build it as well, nothing too extreme but will get me to and from trails.

So here I am with a 95 wrangler that is somewhat built already, aside from the stock axles, steering and now messed up motor it is good to go.

I could part it out, which I don't really want to do, its paid for and I got the damn thing tattooed on my arm LOL

What I had in mind also though was making the YJ my daily driver, do I fix the current motor (what do motor rebuilds cost?) Keep my eye out for a running 4 cylinder? I will probably of course take the 35's off and go to a lot smaller tire.

Hell I don't know I can't make up my mind..WWYD?

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
Keep it. It's paid off why not just fix it up and drive it. You could buy a different car, have a car payment and pay for gas. Or just get a new motor and use it as your DD with no extra car payment.

But if you do part it out let me know I need a radiator for a 2.5 liter.

JeeperG

Keep it. It's paid off why not just fix it up and drive it. You could buy a different car, have a car payment and pay for gas. Or just get a new motor and use it as your DD with no extra car payment.

But if you do part it out let me know I need a radiator for a 2.5 liter.
Yeah that's what I am thinking, hell even a cheap hooptie car is gonna be more expensive then a 4 popper LOL, Ya know I have another radiator laying around here somewhere I will have to pull it out and look at it, I think it came off a 4.0 TJ though.

Bart

You can pick those 2.5s up for cheap. I've seen a couple of good running ones for free. Or you upgrade to a newer 4.0 with an auto. I'd keep it. It's prolly only worth $1500 or less like it is.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
[me being selfish] part it out and give me the frame and tub for cheap [/selfishness]

Keep the XJ stock for a DD, and build the YJ for a summer fun/trail rig. Although my TJ is streetable, it seems every time I get off a trail (one it probably shouldn't be on) I'm glad I don't rely on it to get it to work :sick:

JeeperG

You can pick those 2.5s up for cheap. I've seen a couple of good running ones for free. Or you upgrade to a newer 4.0 with an auto. I'd keep it. It's prolly only worth $1500 or less like it is.
Yeah the more I think about I think I will just toss another motor in it if I can find a good cheap or free one and its not at the top of my agenda. I guess I just don't feel the same driving around a stock XJ, even know I really hate driving the wrangler around in the summer temps with just a bikini top on.

Bart

You don't have to drive around a stock XJ. Do a 3" lift and 31s the next time you need tires. They are cheap and it sets it apart from all the stock rigs, plus it's amazing the places you can go with that configuration.

JeeperG

You don't have to drive around a stock XJ. Do a 3" lift and 31s the next time you need tires. They are cheap and it sets it apart from all the stock rigs, plus it's amazing the places you can go with that configuration.
Well I just went outside and fired up the wrangler and moved it, the engine noise is louder underneath, I am wondering if maybe I should drop the oil pan and take a look in there? Worth fixing maybe? Edit: anybody know if a TJ 2.5 will work just fine in a YJ?

Last edited: