Keep toy axles or do one tons??

4Runner

Hi everybody. Let me get started. I have the chance right now to make my crawler a trail truck only. I just recently bought a e-locker for the rear. Complete axle. I really want to keep it threw out its life but I'm not sure anymore. The thing is is I want 38+ tires and I'm doing a V8. Would cromally shafts be enough or do I need to just step it up and do full size axles?

4Runner

I'm not sure if I'm ready to sell. Just to let everyone know. I don't know what I want. I'm Indecisive about everything I do. But a lot of people are going to full sizes and obviously it's for a damn good reason:) and for transfer cases I'm in the middle of ideas. Either the Toyota cases or a 205/203 doubler. If anyone has ideas I'm open. It's going on a 4L60E from a camaro. I don't know if that limits me

Last edited:

chicken77

throttle jockey
I just sold all my Toyota axle stuff and went to 1 tons and 40s. If I would have done this two years ago I would be lots of time and money ahead!!! Just go to 1 tons and don't look back. Mt truck is still some what streetable even with the full widths. I'm running the 22re and dual cases so I'm hurting for power but it will still do 45 to 50 mph on the speedo and it is off by 25%.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Since you already know where you plan on going with this rig in the future just go ton's. Get a build plan together and build it once.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I'm not sure if I'm ready to sell. Just to let everyone know. I don't know what I want. I'm Indecisive about everything I do. But a lot of people are going to full sizes and obviously it's for a damn good reason:) and for transfer cases I'm in the middle of ideas. Either the Toyota cases or a 205/203 doubler. If anyone has ideas I'm open. It's going on a 4L60E from a camaro. I don't know if that limits me

I have no experiences with a V8 and toyota cases, but from what I have researched they don't get a long very well. By the the time you build toyota cases to stand up to tons+V8 you are at the price of a atlas.

mombobuggy

Rockwells would add another three hundred pounds. A good thing in my opinion. This is the only motorsport where more unsprung weight is a good thing! The biggest benefit seems to be the massive steering u joints. And the ability to have rear steering without much fuss. They come with 6.72 gears and its easy to narrow them 7 inches or more if you use an extra stub axle. If you ran 20 inch wheels you could use the same offset as a duece and a half and keep it narrow. Nothing against one tons I ran a set myself for a long time and for me they were not strong enough. And kind of a money pit after buying chromemoly axles gears breaking a steering knuckle. My friends s10 blazer has the stock vortec 4.3 700r4 and push button transfer case with 2.70 gears and he pulls his 47 inch swampers around great. See s10 truggy from Arkansas. His original plan was to put in one tons but he could not get the gearing low enough without running 6.17 7.17 gears and he really wanted rear steer. Just my 2 cents. For what is worth.

mombobuggy

Overkill is almost enough.

:rofl:Yes thats true I just like them a lot. I saw a sidekick with rocks running a 4.3 and 49s looked like a stomper I like little trucks with huge axles and tires. Overkill is almost enough.

thenag

x2

And a 203/205 doubler is big & heavy.

203/205 is over 200lbs and really not that low of gearing (only 4:1, and with the ford there is no 3:1 kit currently made). With the length of a toy you could go with a 203/just about anything you want. If you go with a ford engine/tranny/ 203/ the BW t-cases are not that bad and much lighter than a 205. (of course I don't know why you would go with a ford motor when a gm 350 is a much better/easier choice) I am not sure about mating a GM 203 to other t-cases but I am sure it can be done. Of course if you go gm the lowmax 205 is pretty killer, you could do that without a 203 in front of it.

Nathan

4Runner

I'm not sure about rock wells. That's a lot of weight for a Toyota. Would it be worth it to go to thats big of axles? a lot of people say that if i did one tons id never break. If i wont break with one tons is it really worth it? I am doing a 350 LT1 out of a 94 camaro. With the 4L60E. I already have motor and trans and have done a lot of work to both.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I'm not sure about rock wells. That's a lot of weight for a Toyota. Would it be worth it to go to thats big of axles? a lot of people say that if i did one tons id never break. If i wont break with one tons is it really worth it? I am doing a 350 LT1 out of a 94 camaro. With the 4L60E. I already have motor and trans and have done a lot of work to both.

Are you thinking of building a truggy/buggy?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Rockwells are definitely overkill for what you're looking for.

What trails are you building it for?

Last edited:

4Runner

Pretty much a buggy but still stock frame and body. I pretty much want to build it for pretty much anything. Anything in Moab the Rubican and st goerge stuff like that