Kicking Up Dust...

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Ok, many of you motorheads have seen "Dust to Glory". If you haven't I recommend it. :D

One of the terms they use is "kicking up dust"

That sitting around sharing stories and experiences that happens when you get together with old friends or new people you just meet.

Anyways with that back ground, Pile of Parts stopped by last night and had some questions about how I had set up my T-case, and we kicked back and "Kicked up dust" for about an hour.

It has been probably 10+ years or so since we had been on a trail together but it was good to see him and I really enjoyed the conversation. This got me to thinking, "why I am so busy that I don't do stuff like this more often?"

I think that is one reason I enjoy the old school rock crawl, the chance to see old friends, make a couple of new ones, and remember how much I love this goofy world that involves gear ratios and the great outdoors... :D

Anyone else wonder this as well? What can we do about it?

More Old School? More time in the shop doing something? More time on the trail?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I think the best part trail runs is camping overnight and the fire chats that ensue. Just doing a day trip is enjoyable but when we're all in different rigs its hard to catchup. I have really enjoyed meeting new people the last few months as I got help with my trailer stuff (Brett, Steve, and Carl) and more recently as I've sold a few things (Brent, Steve, and the random KSL guy.) The couple trips I did last year with WC were so much fun. Drive all day and look at neat stuff then tell stories around the campfire. When I laugh hard a tend to wheeze and it for sure happened on those trips. I still have some mild raccoon PTSD that flares up when I see Derek post but it takes me back to that specific trip which was pretty awesome. Making those memories is what keeps me around and I just hope that I'll be able to continue doing it with my boy.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I'm itching to do more, build more. but i just don't have time anymore. too many projects, a lot of work, and kids.

This really sums me up.

I would love to do more trails, but it is hard to get out to do something that is a just dirt road and there really isn't anything close but 5 mile and there is only so many time you can run that...

Side note: I do need to fix a spring pack and go run sidewinder, (Thanks to the boys that helped put that together :))

Then when it comes to hanging tree, Price, Moab, St. George trip there is the money and mile thing that slows me down, let alone getting a time when everyone can go...

Maybe we need to just to a Bring your own meat and something to share BBQ at a park somewhere. We can drive our Non-rigs and let the kids run... :D

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Making those memories is what keeps me around and I just hope that I'll be able to continue doing it with my boy.

This is a great point. I grew up in the back of CJ5 and loving every minute of it.

Now I love watching my boys want to go ride in the "jeep" every time we open the shop. :D

Troop92

I think the best part trail runs is camping overnight and the fire chats that ensue.... ....Drive all day and look at neat stuff then tell stories around the campfire.... ....Making those memories is what keeps me around and I just hope that I'll be able to continue doing it with my boy.

This. 100%.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I like the rocks as much as anybody, but I don't think it needs to be hard core to be worth driving. Sometimes it's just about getting out of the city and spending time with friends.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I love the offroad community. I've made a ton of great friends that I'll hopefully have forever. I can't tell you how many people I've met for the first time and talked for an hour plus about offroading. Whether it's someone that I'm buying/selling parts or someone that comes up to my garage while I'm working, it happens and I love it. I agree that OSRC is a great time for the social aspect as well. My parents came out to watch for the first time and they were blown away by how many people I know in the community and I had to explain (again) that we all have the same lifestyle.

CobraNutt

I think we all want to get our more...share more stories...build more fires and friendships. It's tough these days with busy schedules, but I have that same itch! I've meet some terrific people on here as well as ExpedUT, and look forward to meeting more! I don't do the rocks, but I do love me some dust!

Pile of parts

Jinx, I too enjoyed getting caught back up with you. Can't believe how long its been. We probably spent more time talking about the personal side than the technical side - and that's just fine. I think that's one of the biggest reasons I've enjoyed this hobby/sport. I've met a lot of good people and made a lot of good memories and even though life takes us different directions its funny how eventually the trails intersect and we start up again right where we left off. Having been in this as long as many of us have, we've run most of the trails out there. I find it's not about what trail I'm on but who I'm on it with. That being said, I'd love to meet up or wheel more with those I've met and am all for some kind of organized event, be it BBQ at a park or trail run etc but just knowing common interests, experiences and good memories let us pick up from where we left off when we do meet up again makes it worth it to me. See you all on the trail... sometime... somewhere.

Pile of parts

By the way, my wife came with me last night and waited in the car. Before we left she asked how long we'd be. I told her 1/2 hour since it was late and I didn't want to hold you up. She said, "so that means an hour." She was spot on - you can see that she's not new to this either. She just laughed. Once again, enjoyed our conversation.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
By the way, my wife came with me last night and waited in the car. Before we left she asked how long we'd be. I told her 1/2 hour since it was late and I didn't want to hold you up. She said, "so that means an hour." She was spot on - you can see that she's not new to this either. She just laughed. Once again, enjoyed our conversation.

Had no clue your wife was in the car. So sorry!

Your wife sounds like mine, pretty dang patient. :)

Bart

Hahaha, that's why my wife quit going with me when I meet people for parts.

I agree 100%, I really miss that part of the sport.