Kids in the back seat of older jeeps...

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Hey, what's the best practice for kids riding in the back seat of an older CJ? I have a 5 year old, and I've tried his standard care seat and booster seats, and they all just kind of flop around. I can just put him in the lap belt, and while that doesn't bother me all that much, I feel like I'm being turned in to DCFS when I drive around.

I guess this is a double sided question. For driving around town, and for off-road. I feel fine with the smaller kid in a lap belt offroad. Around town I feel like I should be trying to do more.

Cody

RockChucker

For my almost 3 year hold, i've been ratchet strapping it to the seat so that it doesn't flop around. done that for both driving around town and when offroad.

Asbjorn

After screwing around with trying to get a car seat secure in the previous bench seat in my buggy, I opted for this for our 3-4 year old.
70E87D34-56DA-4971-B844-C3BA97235AEA.jpeg
Racetrim kids seat, custom Crow harness. I had many suggestions to use ratchet straps, but didn’t feel comfortable with it.

Love the little bucket seats! I have 4 seatbelts in the back of the unimog. It was almost a different era, but I can remember going up some obstacle and looking back and one of the boys was sleeping and his head was banging into the door frame. Had to have his brother put a pillow there. I hope we didn't damage them permanently!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I guess I could try some ratchet straps. I'd love to have nicer bucket seats on the back, but I don't think that fits the budget or SWMBO's vision of the vehicle.

I have one of those graco's seats. I'll see how secure I can get it with some ratchets.

RockChucker

I should add...I do use the lap belt to hold the car seat in as well, but like @Cody is questioning, the seat moves around too much. The ratchet strap holds it solid.