Kiel's swing out bumper build

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Been working on this bumper for about 12 hours so far. I'm to the point where I am figuring out where all my scepter cans can fit. I would like to fit 2 fuel cans and one water can on the back, as close to the body has possible. With the tire mounted like it is in the pics. I can squeeze 2 on the left side and one on the right, that is if I don't add a support from the tower to the hinge on that side. Do you guys think that will be enough strength to handle my weight? The swing arm is made of 3/16 2.5 inch sq. The tubing the side spreader is 1.5 sq. 1/8 inch.

Attachments

• DSCN2141.jpg
    DSCN2141.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN2142.jpg
    DSCN2142.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN2143.jpg
    DSCN2143.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN2144.jpg
    DSCN2144.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN2145.jpg
    DSCN2145.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 62

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Looks like that is going to work harden the hell out of the "strut" and snap off. Looks to be a lot of leverage on that upright... "needs more triangulation" heh

Would it be possible to put something under the tire to help w/the load?? I like where you're going w/the idea for sure.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Yeah, even I am not a big fan of only having one support on one side. I figure I will have to mount the cans sticking out farthers, but might be able to fit 2 water and 2 fuel that way if needed. I could also run a support down from the 6 inch horizontal piece the tire mounting plate is on, down to the strut if you will

X1994J

XJ's Bring the Uni-Suck
Have you considered a roof rack? Might be easier to throw it up there than try to cram all that on the back of an XJ.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Not a big fan of roof racks. Last thing I want to do is lug a 50 pound fuel can or water can off my roof. Looks like I might just not get the departure angle I want.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
hinge looks good, but I kinda agree with Tacoma.
Weird as it sounds I've always thought a hard hatch mounted spare would be cool on an XJ.
(like mount it directly to the steel rear hatch and add heavier duty struts)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Kiel, can you make 3 cans fit the way you want? 4 might be a bit ambitious. You can always plan accordingly for each trip on whether you take 10gals of fuel, and 5 gals of water, or vise versa.. If you needed the extra 5gal can of whatever you can always stick it inside the Jeep.

sixstringsteve

I'm excited to see how this turns out. I'll eventually be building some type of rear bumper tire/can holder thingy.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I came to the realization that I like to do eveything overkill anyway, I'm gonna pick up some more 2.5 - 3/16 box today and just support it the way it should be. I now the hinge is beefy as hell. I was jumping on it extended last night- Thanks Wayne. Jason, I can fit 4 if I keep them upright and keep the 14 inch long part towards the back. I will just have to elevate them, probably even with the tire to keep clearence at a maximum. The plan is to build a basket and keep them right by eachother. I want as much stuff outside the cabin, so I have room for my drawer system/ sleeping platform in the future.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Update: Cut the stupid small support off. Cut the short side 2.5 inch sq support, started cutting the long side, but cheap chop saw blade gave out. Also mounted the tire lower and cut down the mount to be closer to the hatch. Also set a scepter can up to show position

Attachments

• DSCN2149.jpg
    DSCN2149.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN2148.jpg
    DSCN2148.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN2147.jpg
    DSCN2147.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN2146.jpg
    DSCN2146.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 55

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Pretty much got the bumper wrapped up in a couple hours yesterday. Just need to pull it off and finish welding the back seams and paint. Then can and jack holder. I welded the supports on yesterday, Final adjusted the swing arm height, drilled and tapped the latch pin.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg