Knik Glacier/Valley, Alaska 2009

TonyM

Charlie don't surf
Knik is probably one of the most popular recreating areas in the state. It's about 45 miles north of Anchorage, and although it has a reputation for being quite mild terrain wise, it can also cost you your life. This area is a glacier runoff area (Knik River is the main body of water), and the terrain changes drastically from year to year.

The area we most frequent is "The other side of the river". We are fortunate to have good friends that have a private access to the part of the valley that most cannot get to (Because it is on the other side of the Knik River).

Here are some pictures from last year setting up our moose camp for the year, and other random tasks. (Here is a compilation from 2009, its about 10 minutes, with lots of video over music, one of my favorites for sure).

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

P8290009.jpg

P8290010.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome place...I miss the yearly clean-up. Thanks for the memories!

<------ avatar is permanente trail.

Last edited:

TonyM

Charlie don't surf
Awesome place...I miss the yearly clean-up. Thanks for the memories!

<------ avatar is permanente trail.

Perm really isn't a full size rig trail anymore. The "Ledge" has eroded to the point to where its pretty much impassible for anything wider than a jeep (Even in a jeep its a little sketchy).

We'll be at the cleanup this year as well. Its gotten a lot better out there in the last couple of years. Instead of hauling out 10-20 burnt carcases, it's been 5 or less. We are having an impact out there and its nice to see.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Love'n the Alaska views! I've been up there a few times, mostly snowboarding from Heli's. I'd like the area a lot more if it wasn't so dang cold! :D But IMO Hawaii and Alaska are the best states in the nation. Moab and/or Death Valley would be #1 if it were a state :D

TonyM

Charlie don't surf
Love'n the Alaska views! I've been up there a few times, mostly snowboarding from Heli's. I'd like the area a lot more if it wasn't so dang cold! :D But IMO Hawaii and Alaska are the best states in the nation. Moab and/or Death Valley would be #1 if it were a state :D

I don't know about that... sounds pretty hot :confused:. Doesn't exactly sound fat guy friendly to me...lol

Cruiser

look what i can do!!
Can’t wait till Aug.. I'll be coming up to do some hunting. I already have my license and just waiting to see what I get for tags!

TonyM

Charlie don't surf
Can’t wait till Aug.. I'll be coming up to do some hunting. I already have my license and just waiting to see what I get for tags!

Where did you put in for? Good luck with anything in 13-14... and if you do get one in one of those GMU, thats bllshit cause I live here and have been putting in for those every year and have yet to get one. :mad:

Cruiser

look what i can do!!
Where did you put in for? Good luck with anything in 13-14... and if you do get one in one of those GMU, thats bllshit cause I live here and have been putting in for those every year and have yet to get one. :mad:

I dont even know what we put in for, My bro is a Doc at providance Hospital and he puts us in for the areas he wants.. We killed a billy, a 7/8 sheep, a 5' blacky and a bull moose last year all in two weeks and all on foot..;)

I'll for sure be posting up when I hear!

Here is my trip last year http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=68228&highlight=hello+from+alaska