KOH

Venture13

So who is going to KOH? I was thinking about the Winter on the rocks, but what the heck a few hours more and I am at KOH pittting for my buddies. If I went I would trailer my Jeep and possibly the ATV for pit support. My buddy at Crossed Up Offroad will be competeing like always, Team Number 143, which I will be supoorting. I would be the chase vehicle and mid course tech/pit guy.

If anyone was thinking about going, it is from 04FEB to 11FEB. The race is on Friday the 10FEB and I would probably arrive around Wed or thursday the 8th or 9th and leave on Sunday. Just curious if anyone was driving down, perhaps follow as a caravan.. lol

http://ultra4racing.com/category/king_of_the_hammers/

-mitch

Last edited:

Grim

we are going this year !! it will be our fist time in johnson valley and to the koh race. planning on leaving slc tue eve and staying the night around vegas. dont know what to expect , just planning on camping in a desert with a LOT of people.
should we pack extra fuel or is there a station close to "hammer town"?

1995zj

I'm addicted
I'm 90% sure I'll be going this year, all depends on if I get a job offer somewhere. My plan is same as last year, drive down on Wednesday, come home Sunday (maybe leave the lakebed on Saturday late afternoon to cut Sunday's drive down). It's about a 12 hour drive with stops for lunch and the AWESOME 55MPH speed limit in Cali when you're towing a trailer. Definitely take that into account, they're pretty strict about it.

we are going this year !! it will be our fist time in johnson valley and to the koh race. planning on leaving slc tue eve and staying the night around vegas. dont know what to expect , just planning on camping in a desert with a LOT of people.
should we pack extra fuel or is there a station close to "hammer town"?

There is a small town about 25 min from the lakebed where you'll be camping, no real need to pack fuel in, definitely more convenient to take an extra 10-20 gallons though to top off your rigs/wheelers just to save the hassle of loading them up to drive back into town.

Venture13

Sounds good, I was thinking a 12 hour drive Wednesday and leaving Sunday or even Sat afternoon. Like to do the cleanup run on Saturday. My buddy should be driving his RV out there from Tucson, hoping to snag some floor space. Not to be a wimp, but after a few days on the lake bed, it gets kinda nasty sleeping out of a tent.

I anyone is interested, I am up for driving down at the same time. You know all the fun stuff like trailer tires blowing out and etc.. I will probably post on Pirate for anyone that needs anything transported to or from the KOH.

I have not been to KOH yet and look forward to an eventful time. If anyone is interested in helping out with the pit crew for team #143 I can hook it up.. lol

Grim

so do you have to camp on the lake bed , or can you "get away" from the crowd ? how about watching the race , do you have to go to a designated aera?

Venture13

I think the Lake bed is close, so it makes it easier to get to in the morning. The nightlife is a little bit crazy from what I have been hearing.. Circus full of crazy mechanics and offroaders. The observation points can be a bit of a walk to get to. I was going to bring my Quad to make it easier to get around, if the Jeep is to big and hard top park. Maybe someone will chime in that has been.

1995zj

I'm addicted
You don't have to camp right next to everyone, there is definitely area to camp that's 5-10 min from the party. Last year we stayed in the pits in a trailer with Trent Fab. and I was still able to go to sleep at midnight without a problem. You probably do want to be remotely close though, and you will definitely want transportation to get around because the closest main obstacle to the lakebed (Backdoor) would be a 10-15 minute walk. The other main obstacles would be too far away to walk to. Pretty much you just want to get to one of the main "choke-points" and plan on being there for a few hours. We took our RC crawlers last year and played around until the first rigs started showing up at Backdoor last year.

Bart

I have seen some tents down there, but also watched them struggle with high winds. I would highly recommend hard sided quarters or some kind, even if its in a trailer on the floor. Like has been said, the closest gas station and store is Yucca Valley, about 25 miles away.

Venture13

thanks for the info , so is "team 143" a local (Utah) team ? any others locals to watch for?

No they are not a local team. I came from Tucson and use to work for their shop as a fabricator part time to keep my weld certs valid. Good people and quality work. Mike Klensin is the owner/driver for Team Crossed Up offroad and is from Tucson,AZ. I keep touch with him and still get some occasional sponsor hookups. If it wasn't for their exposure to WEROCK/UROC and now the ultra 4 I probably would be bored with wheeling.

Looks like my friends are arriving Sunday, almost a week before the big race day on Friday. I guess the UTV races and stock classes are really going to make it busy and very difficult to get a camp spot. That place fills up fast and people can't really partition off camping areas for others when they arrive. It will be interesting with the stock classes and UTVs, not sure how it will play out. I don't really want to get there to early in the week, but if it means I will camp with my friends and park my trailer and etc, then I might have to saddle up and battle the dusty lake bed for a few more days. Searched Pirate and the Ultra 4 site concerning portable showers and bathrooms. Not much on the portable showers, wondering if anyone knew anymore details on those for KOH?

Last edited:

Venture13

Well, if you are out there I will be with Team Crossed Up Offroad #143 and I will be driving my red TJ with Vermont plates.