KSL Ad: Dave Ramsey Has Ruined My Life - So Please - Buy My Amp

sixstringsteve

I'm sure Dave Ramsay's principles have saved more marriages than they've ruined.

I think the key is to set goals that both husband and wife agree on. If we have different priorities, we'll spend on different things, and I think a good budget takes these priorities into consideration.

amp713

Sorry but I disagree with people who wont spend money because its slightly out of budget. ITS MONEY! Never let money stop you from doing something you will always remember, you wont remember the day you paid an extra 300 towards your house..... Skydiving for $300 over Moab? You will never forget! I cant understand people who go through life like that.... When the economy/world/government colapses or just unravels all of your extra cash wont be good for anything but TP.

RANT OVER.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
If you just spend money without any idea where it goes you will always be in debt and debt causes many problems that have nothing to do with money.

The debt is important, but it is not just debt, but lack of saving and/or spending more than you earn. I don't understand living paycheck to paycheck. It would be like always driving around with 1 gallon in your tank - everytime there is a hiccup, it becomes an emergency.

amp713

I would go into debt in a heartbeat if i had the chance of a lifetime offered to me. Because money is just money, dont belive that?? Claim bankruptcy and start over. Money and dollar bills, like government officials, are nothing but TP without the power we lend to them. But hey im different and dont see the world like most do i guess.....

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
If you have no debt, you have more dough. Life is much better debt free.
Paying $ to jump out of an airplane is silly.
Life lived liquidly is best. I've no mortgage, car payment or credit card debt. Most of my money is mine.

BLM... lolz.

Last edited:

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Dave Ramsey is awesome, He likes to spend too, and because hes not paying credit card interest he gets to spend 16% more. He has an envelope in his budget plan called "blow money" cause he understands that if you only dump every cent on debt you will soon become discouraged and give up. live like no one else, so someday you can live like no one else.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I've been doing a not super strict-name-every-single-dollar-envelope system and it's been working out great; a relaxed version of Ramsey's method. We actually have great savings and pay vehicle payments to ourselves.. So not only do we have a decent emergency fund set aside, we also have separate repair/maint/mod funds for the truck and bike.. Still chopping away at some debt, but it was nice to use some of Dave Ramsey's processes to get a better grip on saving money.

Financial peace is really nice.

The guy that wrote the original ad needs to grow a pair, learn to communicate with his wife as well as he can put together a slightly entertaining ad on KSL classifieds, and work as a team on their financial goals.

littlyota

I would go into debt in a heartbeat if i had the chance of a lifetime offered to me. Because money is just money, dont belive that?? Claim bankruptcy and start over. Money and dollar bills, like government officials, are nothing but TP without the power we lend to them. But hey im different and dont see the world like most do i guess.....

I am with you. I don't work to not enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
If you had cash on hand, you don't need to go into debt for a chance of a lifetime. This argument is silly.

BLM... lolz.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I won't look back on my life and remember the time I buckled down and put an extra $500 on my mortgage payment but I will surely remember then things I'm fortunate enough to do today (sitting in Chile as I type). I want to enjoy the world when I am young, physically able and of spirit to embrace the adventures of this world. I've watched my parents work hard all their lives, be fiscally conservative and recreate within their means. Now they are old and too tired to go do the things they always wanted to do with their money. The world is getting paved at an exponential pace, I'm not waiting for my mortgage to be paid off to explore it ;)

ichi-san

Earthbound Misfit

I'm think of flying out to do some wheeling and need a rig. I'm sure I can make an offer you can't refuse for yours. Oh, by the way, I don't have any cash on hand. Perhaps you can float me loan? After all, this my chance of a lifetime....

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I won't look back on my life and remember the time I buckled down and put an extra $500 on my mortgage payment but I will surely remember then things I'm fortunate enough to do today (sitting in Chile as I type). I want to enjoy the world when I am young, physically able and of spirit to embrace the adventures of this world. I've watched my parents work hard all their lives, be fiscally conservative and recreate within their means. Now they are old and too tired to go do the things they always wanted to do with their money. The world is getting paved at an exponential pace, I'm not waiting for my mortgage to be paid off to explore it ;)

There can be a good balance for sure.. I imagine you are not over burdened with credit card debt, making multiple car payments, and living pay check to pay check.. If you can actually afford a trip, without making it a future burden (by using borrowed money) it's not a big deal. Maybe being mortgage free isn't super important. However.. If good old american express is paying for your trip to Chile, and future Kurt is going to be paying for it, then I'd say there is an issue.. JM02.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
There can be a good balance for sure.. I imagine you are not over burdened with credit card debt, making multiple car payments, and living pay check to pay check.. If you can actually afford a trip, without making it a future burden (by using borrowed money) it's not a big deal. Maybe being mortgage free isn't super important. However.. If good old american express is paying for your trip to Chile, and future Kurt is going to be paying for it, then I'd say there is an issue.. JM02.

But the future (now past) Kurt has had to pay off opportunities of the past Kurt and I don't regret a single one of them. I'm not promoting getting into debt on a regular basis but I do believe that taking on debt for a true once in a lifetime experiences. I've been fortunate with my recent travels to not have to take on debt but if I was given the opportunity to come up with $20k to cross the Darien Gap this winter, I wouldn't hesitate to make it happen one way or the other. Those experience will pay for the rest of ones life...

comingdown

I read the ad, and it seemed more whimsical to me, then that he seriously hated Dave Ramsey, but maybe i mis-read that. I agree with Dave on basically everything he says. I aint perfect at it ,but everything he says, although not for everyone, is dead on. I have seen my grandparents live like third world poverty, while buying 50k at a time in stocks and bonds. They would pay cash for houses, and at one time had nearly 100 properties in San diego. They were not hurting for cash, but looking at them or their house you would never know how much money they were worth. That seemed a bit extreme to me, but that is how they have always been, paid cash for everything. My grandpa would say you can't believe the feeling of owing nothing to nobody. My wife and I are on baby step 2, and it is hard. I see it as a challenge. Anyone now days can get credit, but it is a select few who live debt free. I guarantee when i finish my 6 month emergency fund, with no debt, i will sleep awfully good at night.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I've been doing a not super strict-name-every-single-dollar-envelope system and it's been working out great; a relaxed version of Ramsey's method. We actually have great savings and pay vehicle payments to ourselves.. So not only do we have a decent emergency fund set aside, we also have separate repair/maint/mod funds for the truck and bike.. Still chopping away at some debt, but it was nice to use some of Dave Ramsey's processes to get a better grip on saving money.

Financial peace is really nice.

The guy that wrote the original ad needs to grow a pair, learn to communicate with his wife as well as he can put together a slightly entertaining ad on KSL classifieds, and work as a team on their financial goals.

hmm, it sounds like you get paid too much. haha

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm in the middle on this. I do want to enjoy my younger years much like Kurt said but I also don't have any debt besides a house and a truck payment. My wife is actually reading Ramsey's guide right now because we'd like to do a little better with our savings but I truly doubt we'll go all-in on the program. I recently ramped up 401k and employee stock purchase plans and I've been very happy with the investment for our future.