Kyles 2001 Toyota Tacoma Doublecab

Owners Name & City- Kyle, Lehi, Utah

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle-2001 Toyota Tacoma Doublecab TRD

Engine-3.4 V6

Transmission-Stock Auto

T-Case-Stock

Axles-E-locker TRD rear axle with 4.88 gears, 7.5" IFS front with 4.88 gears and ARB air locker

Suspension-Complete OME system: new struts with 882 coils, new rear dakar leaf springs, all new bushings, shackles, hardware, etc. Specialty Products upper control arms.

Wheels and Tires- 2nd gen Tacoma wheels with 1" wheel spacers, 285/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs

Winch- Warn M8000

Favorite Trails-Anywhere off the pavement.....

Other- AllPro Offroad front Apex bumper, rear tube bumper, rock sliders and 2 piece front skid plates. ARB Simpson III roof top tent on custom bed rack. ARB onboard air compressor. Rigid Industries Dually LED flood lights in front bumper. Rear frame rails plated with Trail Gear frame plates.

Tacoma51.jpgTacoma48.jpgTacoma50.jpg

GAR

Your truck is awesome. I would do one just like this. How do you like the Dually floods?

193kyle

A few pictures from the buildup, here is is when I bought it in March

11060540.JPG

First thing to go on was the OME suspension and SP upper control arms.

Tacoma4.jpgTacoma3.jpgTacoma5.jpg

Looking better already

Tacoma2.jpgTacoma1.jpg

193kyle

Next on the list was gears and front locker, I pulled the differentials myself and brought them to Mitch at UFAB for assembly.

tacoma21.jpgtacoma22.jpgTacoma30.jpg

While I had the front diff out I decided to replace my lower control arm bushings since they were long overdue to be replaced. Unfortunately, all the alignment cam sleeves were rusted in place and had to be cut out. I spent about 5 hours under the truck cutting through them all, the sleeves are hardened steel and do not cut easily. Once the lower control arms were removed I spent another 3 hours in Sixstringsteves garage removing the bushings with the help of his torch and press. Thanks for all your help Steve! That is one job I hope to never have to do again, lol....

Tacoma27.jpgTacoma28.jpgTacoma32.jpgTacoma37.jpg

193kyle

Well after going back and forth for the last 6 months on whether or not I should sell this truck I have decided to just keep it. It fits my needs very well and has been quite capable and reliable, I just get bored with my rigs and like to try new things(like many of us on here). I still think someday I would love to have a built LJ or JK but I don't have the budget or the space to take on a project like that right now. So since I decided to keep the truck, I figured I might as well change up a few things on it to make it feel like new rig. I picked up a supercharger from Panos and he installed it for me yesterday morning. Wow! What a difference! It made this truck so much more fun to drive. It isn't fast by any means, but it really woke this thing up and it feels like a completely different rig. I also plan on getting some new wheels in the next couple months, my tires rub the frame at full lock so I need some wheels with a little less backspacing. I am looking at the SCS F5 wheels in a 16X8 with 3.5" backspacing. These should get rid of the frame rub and allow me to ditch my wheel spacers.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Still interested in a trade ;)

Congrats on the supercharger its a sweet rig should provide years of fun, even if its not providing it for me. :greg:

193kyle

Yeah, I am pretty familiar with the superchargers. I had one on another tacoma years ago and I also helped my brother put one on his truck-we did the full URD kit on his old 96 single cab. That truck was fast!