La Sal's

91MJ97TJ

IGNORE ME!!!!!
Well we drew out for this hunt this year it is in the la sals that are planning to go to. But we have never camped there or anything in fact don't really know the country all that well but are working on familiarising ourselves. But we don't know camping area or a good place to go hunting. So any advice will be helpful we are taking a tent trailer and it will be towed by a dodge and we are taking a Wrangler because if you don't see any deer at least moab isn't too far away. Doing the muzzleloader September 26th any help or advice would be appreciated heard there are really big dear in this corner of Utah. Thanks.
In fact got a Brand new winchester muzzleloader for my birthday yesterday great looking gun so I really am anxious to get a deer with it.

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
Winchester, huh?? How many people have told you the barrel is going to blow up? When I was looking it seemed like everyone mentioned that.

I'm not going to give away any secrets, but I would focus on the area south and east of the mountain range.

As far as camping goes, there are several undeveloped camping areas off the La Sal pass road, again on the southeast side of the mountain range.

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
Years ago, Castle Valley was loaded with large deer. When I was off the river, I used to go stay on the mountain (via Castle Valley). They had a Seventh Day Adventist farm right there (is it still there?) and I used to stop there for food all the time. It was like a Bishops storehouse type of deal …. They grew some good stuff and was willing to sell it to infidels.

Anyway, I camped light at that time (just a bag). I had nice little place, almost to the top, which overlooked the Castle Valley, with a great view right up to the Book Cliffs. I would sit and watch UFO’s all night.

There were big groups of coyotes that would howl all the time. Enough to make one want a fire going. And if that road gets wet … that is the slickest, grease mud that I have ever encountered.

Once again, its been many years, but it’s some very nice wilderness, and you should not have a problem finding a nice place to setup camp.

edit, and oh yea, don't shoot your eye out when that barrel blows

Last edited:
Well we drew out for this hunt this year it is in the la sals that are planning to go to. But we have never camped there or anything in fact don't really know the country all that well but are working on familiarising ourselves. But we don't know camping area or a good place to go hunting. So any advice will be helpful we are taking a tent trailer and it will be towed by a dodge and we are taking a Wrangler because if you don't see any deer at least moab isn't too far away. Doing the muzzleloader September 26th any help or advice would be appreciated heard there are really big dear in this corner of Utah. Thanks.
In fact got a Brand new winchester muzzleloader for my birthday yesterday great looking gun so I really am anxious to get a deer with it.

the deer are up high and in small numbers i've hunted up there and only seen a few does but every year is different, camping is all over i would go to the 2mile area nice area and i know a few people who ussually gets one every year but you gotta get out of your truck.to get them wich most people up there do not

forotacobra

5.0 INJECTED TOY
i have had a traditions inline for several years and always run 150 grains of powder threw it and have never and any problem with it.

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
Sorry to get your thread off on a barrel exploding tangent. You can literally find hundreds of people who have owned CVA's, Winchesters, Remington's, etc. for years and have never had a problem. Your Winchester could be perfectly fine. I ended up getting a Thompson and have really enjoyed it.

Back to the subject, I hope you have a great hunt. Some of my best hunting memories are from hunts on the La Sals. The area is beautiful and with a little work you can get a nice deer.

91MJ97TJ

IGNORE ME!!!!!
I usually

do the Duchesne area or like Current Creek. Have done the Uintahs and also Monte Cristo up north. I am wondering what is it like typical Utah terrain?