Toyota Land Cruiser 4.0L knocking

Lka1988

poor college student
Hey guys... My poor truck has started knocking. It's knocked 3 times now in the past 10,000 miles, the first time at exactly 250,000; second just 100 miles ago; and the third just 15 miles ago (yesterday).

There's a strange thing though. Each time, the knocking has been preceded by the throttle sticking. Scares the living $#!t out of me because it's sudden and unpredictable, and I can't stop the truck unless I put the tranny in N or shut off the engine.

To state the obvious: Putting the tranny in N with a stuck throttle isn't the best idea. Neither is shutting off the engine in the middle of traffic. The throttle is easily unstuck, though, by hitting the pedal once. Then the knocking starts. The last time only lasted about two seconds.

Now for the vital info:

Been running Valvoline 20W-50 and a Wix/Napa oil filter, changed about every 3,000 miles. It leaks oil, about a quart every 1500 miles. Regularly topped off. It doesn't burn oil, at least not to my knowledge. No blue smoke. Some white smoke at the first start of the morning, but it goes away once warmed up. The oil was NOT low when the knocking happened.

So... I still drive it, as it's my only vehicle. What do I do?

TIA...
-Lane

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Diagnose the sticky throttle. Its a 100% mechanical throttle, if its sticking its something between the pedal and the intake, could be the pedal pivot, the cable, the butterfly valve. Could be as simple as some cleaning, worst case could be replacing the cable.

rholbrook

Sounds like the knocking comes from the valve seals going bad. After the high rev it takes a minute for them to fill back up. A lot of high mileage motors do this after they have been sitting overnight and it takes a minute to pump the oil back up into the heads.