Land Rover Discovery II

ZUKEYPR

Anyone know of a really good mechanic that they would highly recommend that has experience with the apparently inability of these vehicles to stop leaking oil like there is no tomorrow? The boss has one and he's had it to two different Stealers and the have yet to fix the issue.

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
land rover is american, owned by Ford since 1999

As far as the leaks go, good luck. It is common place for Land Rover's to leak from almost every seal on the vehicle. Most common are valve cover gaskets, headgaskets, oil cooler lines, power steering components and hoses, trans cooler lines, rear main seal and cross seals.

I would guess that your bosses disco has leaks from multiple places

redrockrover

ZUKEYPR said:
Anyone know of a really good mechanic that they would highly recommend that has experience with the apparently inability of these vehicles to stop leaking oil like there is no tomorrow? The boss has one and he's had it to two different Stealers and the have yet to fix the issue.

The dreaded Land Rover leak. In the world of the D-90 if it stops leaking you should check the fluid level. Land Rover made it so when there are no drips in the driveway your have no fluid in the Rover. Ha ha.

On the front axle Land Rovers have a swivel ball to house the cv joints (burfields). These are filled from the factory with oil. You can change them to greese, which is thicker and will help stop the leaks. You will have to put an inner axle seal to prevent the grease from mixing with the gear oil in the diff. Where is your boss’ DII leaking?

JF1

Is the DII still under warranty? I'm guessing he's not mechanically inclined and just wants someone else to take care of the problem. British and European Car Service at 3025 S. State handles some of my co-workers cars and he seems to be pretty happy.

allterrain

AllTerrain
There was a mechanic at LR American Fork that had a very nicely built Discovery and knew a lot about building a LR trail rig. Can't think of his name and don't know if he is till there, but call and ask for him by his rig maybe. My RR had constant little leaks and drips.

krazz1e

mike @ roverland look him up. these things leak, you'll fix a seal and it will just leak somewhere else. Tell him don;t worry about it.

Oh, and about 98-99 land rover changed to a 1 shot swivel grease, plus a dII has different hubs with no oil. He is probably leaking from main seal, t-case and maybe even tranny.