land rover.... ?

958mtm

Really interested in getting a disco, a little large for someone like me, just self and no family. But they look pretty pimp, maybe i could taxi around town with it or something. I would like to know what the feeling around is about these ( disco 1 ) and how well they actually wheel if you've every wheeled with one. They just look top heavy to me but who knows. Plus there's no way i could afford a d90 and going old school would be even worse. Let me know -thanks :)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
1. lotta money for a cruiser.
2. the girls don't work for free, and paying off the cops is pricey too.
3. for less than half the cost you can get so many other better vehicles.

958mtm

Tacoma said:
1. lotta money for a cruiser.
2. the girls don't work for free, and paying off the cops is pricey too.
3. for less than half the cost you can get so many other better vehicles.

I know the cost is what's been concerning me, to buy one is not bad (5k or less), but what about costs after? Honestly i really think i could tip on over if i pushed it real hard, I've decided against it, too big and fancy. I may go for an old school 60's 70's rover though.

V-DAWG

someday
I own a 97 disco that is bone stock. It wheels good considering. I have taken it several times to Forest Lake with no problems, but in stock form I wouldn't do much more than that. As far as looking top heavy, they really are not. The center of gravity is pretty low. The top half is aluminum.

I hate to make it difficult for someone to sell their vehicle based on my experience, but mine has sucked some major money from my savings account. Right now it is sitting in the driveway, and has been for the last 2 months, based on an ECU problem. A new ECU is over $2000, so I had it rebuilt instead, but now have to send it back because it didn't work.

The dealers state that aftermarket parts do not work. You can't have the rotors turned or they squeek all the time, if you put non-factory brake pads on, it will set off the ABS.... oh yeah, the ABS sucks off road, as I am sure you know.

Hey, but if you are still interested, I will sell you mine for what I owe, and then I'll put that money into my 74 FJ40. ;)

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
Rovers leak every fluid on the vehicle, but not major leaks, usually.

Just like anything else you can build them up to be really capable offroad, Disco 1's are probably your best bet for a complete wheeler with lockers and all for under 8k

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
well, the older ones are cool, I like the newer ones too. Just the cash outlay and relative scarcity of junkyard parts bugs me.

Would be a nice alternative to an XJ or a Cruiser ... wouldn't be worth the hassle to me in the end though. My final $.02 lol

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
if you are worried about them being top heavy, come down to the dealership (not intermountain) and have somebody take you over the track in a stock disco. the center of gravity is suprisingly low and they can take an extreme side hill. some of the techs also have lifted and modified discos that you can look at and see what some of the options are. they do leak and they can be expensive but it is nice wheeling in such comfort.

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
Why do such high-dollar vehicles leak fluid, you'd think with all that money they could spend a few bucks on gasket maker? :confused: :rofl: BTW, I will have a D-90 in my quiver one day despite having to carry a bag of cat litter wherever I go :rofl: :rofl:

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
they leak because they are brittish. in england, that is how they monitor the fluid level, if it doesn't leak, it is out of fluid :rofl: