Laptop Mounting Solutions?

jeep-deep

Hey guys, I am wanting to mount my laptop into my jeep, so I can do video, GPS, and 'net stuff while off road... is there any that you guys have used? I found a good middle priced laptop mount that seems pretty durable and says it's universal? Just wondering before I buy if there are better ones or if any has advice.. The mount I am talking about is this one http://www.dura-mounts.com

So any help would be great thanks!

-JD

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have the Ram in my truck. The "desk" pulls apart to allow for different size computers. The spring that brings it back together is so heavy that it takes two hands to pull it, making it hard to hold my computer with the third hand I don't have. That being said, the computer will NEVER fall off. It can be a bit of a pain if you have lots of things plugged into the sides of the computer, ie air card, and usb plugs. But the clamps are adjustable so you can avoid hitting your plugs, if you don't have to many.

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
Do it on the cheap like I did! :D

DIY for only a few bucks at the hardware store. $20, maybe?; I don't remember but it wasn't very much. Note: I had access to a small piece of plexiglass and also access to a bandsaw so it was a little bit cheaper for me.

DISCLAIMER, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU GETTING IN A ACCIDENT, YOUR DEATH, OR ANYTHING ELSE REMOTELY RESULTING IN YOUR INSTALLATION. DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU LIVE, A LAPTOP MAY BE CONSIDERED A DRIVING DISTRACTION AND YOU COULD GET A TICKET FOR IT. That said, just put a little program on that looks like a car computer management program or even a GPS type program and you should be all good.

1. Look at your vehicle.
  2. Do you have a sturdy mounting point to keep the laptop from moving?
  3. Take measurements of your mounting points.
    (be creative, bends are OK; please use at least TWO mounting points)
  4. Measure your laptop.
  5. Get thick plastic / Plexiglas from hardware store.
  6. Get pipe from the hardware store.
    - My pipe is a little more heavy duty than actually required but I will never have to worry about it... ever.
    - You will need a flat piece (my mind is blank on the name, look at pics) to mount Plexiglas
  7. TEST FIT
  8. Drill holes if necessary to mount pipe.
  9. Drill holes in thick plastic / plexiglass.
    - Depending on your setup, you may want to counter-sink the bolts.
    - Note; my laptop is an old POS with a dead battery = bolted right through the case of laptop into battery compartment. :D
  10. A common method is to use double-sided velcro to secure the laptop.
  11. YOU get to be creative at this point. I can't see your setup but think outside the box. What will be the safest and easiest way to use the laptop?
  12. How will you power it? I have a inverter under the seat that I flip the switch on when I want to use the laptop. It also comes in handy for the little things you want to bring (phone charger, etc.)

Attachments

• Laptop_Mount_Seat.JPG
    Laptop_Mount_Seat.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Laptop_Mount_Plexiglas.JPG
    Laptop_Mount_Plexiglas.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 30

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
PM Nic Panos on this board (screename 'panos').. He can hook you up on the jotto desk taht Kurt linked to.

jeep-deep

ok, thanks guys for the advice and help!! I did end up going with the onyx laptop mount from www.dura-mounts.com . This thing is just what I wanted, it's rigid, installed in 2 minutes, and has a quick release to remove from the jeep on the fly.. sweet! Gonna buy their c-clamp too so I can use it in the house or on the work bench!! But thanks for everything!