Lasik part 2 Custom or traditional??

pELYgroso

'Merica
is $1400 pretty average? I'm thinking of getting my wife lasik for her birthday and haven't actually looked into any particular place yet.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
is $1400 pretty average? I'm thinking of getting my wife lasik for her birthday and haven't actually looked into any particular place yet.

I think I got away with being on the lower end of the price range, my needed work wasn't all that in depth. I didn't need a custom map or anything other than standard LASIK surgery. PRK costs about 2x as much, from what I understand.

ICON claims to offer LASIK starting at $499/per eye, not sure what it would take to get that price, as my procedure was supposed to be minimal.

pELYgroso

'Merica
thanks, my wife is almost blind in one eye so she'll probably need a more in depth procedure. I'm going to start looking around, starting with the places referenced in this thread! Thanks again RME!

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
My wife went to hoops for a consultation, and found out she is one of the 10 percent that arent candidates for eye surgery, lame we have been wanting to do this for years.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I cant decide between lasik and prk. Any input besides what has already been talked about?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I cant decide between lasik and prk. Any input besides what has already been talked about?

I'm probably just ignorant, but I thought the choice between the two depended on what correction you needed? i.e., PRK would be better for some, Lasik better for others. (so your eyes would determine which is appropriate)

lewis

Fight Till You Die

Prk and lasik are just different ways of doing eye correction and the decision isn't based on correction, usually on whats most convenient for the person. If you ask the doctor which one he would choose do to he would say prk. But prk is far less convenient and can take up to 3 months for your eyes to recover. The benefits though may outweigh that time though. I am not an expert this is just what I have found.

I would do prk if I could. the recovery is longer which is why I couldn't do it. dr. moshifar suggested I get it because I grind metal and spend time in Dusty areas. prk doesn't weaken the cornea like lasik so it can be done any number of times unlike lasik that can only be done twice.

I highly recommend seeing dr. moshifar at Moran for a consult. he was more interested in my vision than making Buck.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Prk and lasik are just different ways of doing eye correction and the decision isn't based on correction, usually on whats most convenient for the person. If you ask the doctor which one he would choose do to he would say prk. But prk is far less convenient and can take up to 3 months for your eyes to recover. The benefits though may outweigh that time though. I am not an expert this is just what I have found.

I would do prk if I could. the recovery is longer which is why I couldn't do it. dr. moshifar suggested I get it because I grind metal and spend time in Dusty areas. prk doesn't weaken the cornea like lasik so it can be done any number of times unlike lasik that can only be done twice.

I highly recommend seeing dr. moshifar at Moran for a consult. he was more interested in my vision than making Buck.

when I went in for my consultation at standard optical that is basically what they told me. I am not afraid of the recovery time since my eyes aren't very bad and all that. They said my cornea thickness is fine for either of them. The price is the same at 2500 bucks if I pay by the end of december. I just dont really know anyone that did PRK. I know a ton of people that did lasik.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I was told because of my thin corneas I need PRK. this was 4 years ago and maybe things have changed but I am looking at doing the surgery before the end of the year with my flex money I've saved up.

My cornea's were too thin for lasik (and prk) for the correction I needed so I had the Visian ICL lenses inserted, then prk to correct a small amount of astigmatism in my right eye. There was so little prk that recovery was only a day or so.

Brett

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"

Couldn't agree more!!!! He is an excellent DOCTOR!! Very much a doctor, not a business man!!

He told me not to do PRK because the healing process required steroids and I have had my fair share of steroids for prior medical issues. He was against having to treat me with more steroids for an elective surgery. Honestly, that sealed the deal for me with him.
Simply put, the way I understand it, PRK takes off the top, while Lasik takes off under the flap.