Laverkin to Page, by dirt. Trip Report

boogie_4wheel

Started in La Verkin and ended in Page.

Looking North toward Virgin. I tried to go South out of Virgin, but was unable to make it all the way up the trail. It kept getting rougher, steeper, and more narrow.
2.JPG

I was about 75% up the trail when I gave up. I was only a couple hundred yards from the Gooseberry Mesa Overlook site. I turned around and went back to the highway and continued East to Rockville, and took the Scenic Byway up toward Apple Valley.
1.JPG

Looking South toward the Cane Beds. This is a 4 wheeler trail that ran SE from Colorado City. This was one of the best sections of the ride just because of the type of trail; plenty of hills and bermed corners, not too sandy. It was a roller coaster till I got to where I took this picture.
3.JPG

Same spot as above but looking back North from where I came.
4.JPG

Looking East. After riding through the Cane Beds area at a high rate of speed (nothing to see), I crossed back over to the South side of the highway and ended up on this ranch road that paralleled the highway.
5.JPG

Looking West, same spot as above. I rode the ranch road to Pipe Springs and then took the highway from there on in to Fredonia. I had to take the highway because I needed permission to ride the old highway that parallels North from Pipe Springs towards Fredonia; it is on the Paiute Reservation and was going to be more trouble that it was worth.
6.JPG

Heading South out of Fredonia for exactly 6mi, I turned left onto the ‘Winter Road’. This ties in to the House Rock Valley Road located just west of the Paria River. This picture was taken looking West back toward Fredonia as I was headed up the switchbacks and was climbing in to the trees. The road condition heading East after this picture sucked. Old ruts in a now dried up clay base kept my eyes from wandering around any.
7.JPG

This is looking East as I was dropping down in to House Rock Valley.
8.JPG

Same location as above.
9.JPG

I went North on House Rock Valley Rd and turned East just a couple miles from the highway, and took the powerline access jeep trail out of the valley. I tied in to the highway at the Paria river and rode across the bridge then dropped back in to the dirt and paralleled the highway for a couple miles along an old water line cut it. Then looped South along the ‘Paria Overlook’ area and came back toward Big Water.

This was taken looking East. The location is North West of Lone Rock, on a small plateau that I found a road up to the top.
12.JPG

I averaged 34mpg with 14/45 sprockets. I should have installed my 15T, but wasn’t sure what I would encounter on the trip. The taller gearing would have been very welcomed on about 90% of the trip.
Total distance was 199mi, and took me 7.5hrs overall. That includes hanging out in Fredonia and eating lunch/relaxing, and ‘exploring’ a few dead end roads (read as I took a wrong turn and had to back track on those dead end roads).
I used a free app on my phone to do the kmz file to open using Google Earth since my real GPS croaked last year. It looks like it flaked out a few times but recorded a majority of the trip. I had it set to update every minute, but it didn’t do that very well.
The trip was made by memory. I did plan it out using printed maps and Google Earth, but didn’t carry the maps with me (some of the stuff I rode wasn’t on the maps anyway), and only pulled my phone to check in at fuel stops.
All roads were hard ground until I got East of Paria, then started getting in to the sand. The trials tire sucks in the sand, and with it being over half wore out, it really wastes power. It doesn’t grab in the sand well at all, but on the plus side it doesn’t dig either. So it is hard to get moving in a wash, but you’ve got a few seconds to decide your next move while the tire slowly displaces sand.

Starting in La Verkin.
Colorado City, Mile 40, 1.17g
Fredonia, Mile 87, 1.33g
Big Water, Mile 166, no fuel
Page, Mile 199, 3.25g