Leaf Spring Issues

Bones

I have a Toyota mini with 4" All Pro leafs in the rear and 5100 Bilsteins. Only thing out back is a gas tank and 100 pound "bed" and a cooler for weekend trips.

I get a lot of hop on climbs and off camber they seem to unload real fast and it's gets tippy. I want it to hook up like it should.

I had their 5"ers last year with 5012's on a 4runner and all that weight limited lots of this. I had the same 44044's up front, winch, etc.

Here are my solutions to this.
Add weight to the rear to get it to hook up more (spare tire, beefy bumper)
Add a Trac bar
Last resort, ditch them for a linked setup

Any thoughts on this?? I'd like to just add items like weight and tracbar to this to save cash, but don't want to polish a turd either. I can sell them and buy parts to do a coil setup and not be out much money, just down time which I hate.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been thinking about the same thing... Even if you're Linked in the rear, going down stuff can get spooky if your rig is light, just ask Cody.

My thought has been this- Fuel Cell behind axle, between frame rails. Spare tire mounted above the Fuel Cell.

Also, moving your battery to the rear makes a little diffrence. Check this out... (From the Muscle Car days) If you moved your battery from under the hood, into the trunk, it has the same effect on weight transfer as moving your Engine back, 3 Inches!! :eek:

Bones

Very true. Decents don't bother me though. I just want traction to be there unlike now. I have my tank behind the axle, and I want to build a "roll bar" for my bed that incorporates the spare as far back as possible as well. I want to do this regardless of if I link it or not. A 4 link just seems like the best answer right now.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
you NEED to get a traction bar back there...obviously your hop is coming from your axle wrap...make sure you set it up for some good anti squat and your tires will hook like champs!!

weight distribution is your other obstacle...

our competetion cherokee is WAYYY light in the ass. it gets nerve racking to say the least but you get used to it. We have no interior, no rear hatch, and no spare tire in the rear...things get crazy at times!!

Bones

spencurai said:
you NEED to get a traction bar back there...obviously your hop is coming from your axle wrap...make sure you set it up for some good anti squat and your tires will hook like champs!!

weight distribution is your other obstacle...

our competetion cherokee is WAYYY light in the ass. it gets nerve racking to say the least but you get used to it. We have no interior, no rear hatch, and no spare tire in the rear...things get crazy at times!!
I am leaning against the trac bar since I'm not getting much wrap really. My pinion doesn't move up much, it's likes to start hopping though. They are 8 or 9 leaf packs and work pretty good for me. Plus I am really not wanting to waste more time with leaves, but also don't want the down time AGAIN.

I am leaning towards linking it and getting that 5" of wheelbase I want so bad as well. I am going to start gathering parts and springs and go from there. We'll see though.

Greg

Admin
I agree with Spence, if you're getting wheel hop, a Traction Bar is probably the only inexpensive way to eliminate it.

A 4 Link would be cool for the 'Hey, Wow!' factor, but if you're happy with the leaves (Other than the Hoppin'), then a Traction Bar should do the job.

Vonski has a great setup on his 'Yota. Bar goes from the top of the rear diff, up to the Horse Collar x-member. I'll see if I can dig up a pic... you've seen something similar before, I'm sure.

Greg

Admin
Bones said:
I am leaning towards linking it and getting that 5" of wheelbase I want so bad as well. I am going to start gathering parts and springs and go from there. We'll see though.

If that's what you want, DO IT! There's no reason to go thru with something you don't want. Start collecting parts for the 4 Link & just deal with the Hop in the meantime.

Bones

:p That stock Xmember has been gone for a while now. One more reason for no trac bar :rofl:

I hate projects anymore. I'll add the weight for sure anyway, so I'll see what that does for me. Otherwise, it's time to step it up for some real traction.

Bones

Well I was wrong. I do have wrap in the rear -_- Among other things I actually need to fix on my truck over the winter I am leaning towards adding a trac bar for now even though it will require more work since I have to make a crossmember as well.

Time to start researching what works best. :rolleyes: