Leaf spring tuning-leaf removal

Green-Tonka-CJ5

BEE-DUHB
Leaf spring tuning PICS ADDED! Advice welcom'd

so i recently put on yj springs on the cj5 and they lifted the jeep, are still a bit stiff, and my shackles are vertical. Im fixin to work on corrrecting this tomorrow by removing leafs from the spring pack. There are 5 springs per pack, 3 are bound together and the bottom 2 are just held in by the bolt in the pack and the u-bolts. Im thinking of removing the bottom two. these are 4" spring under packs by the way. Would removing the two support leafs be a bad idea? Are there chances of the leafs getting overflexed and bending without those support leafs? im not affraid of a smooth ride ha! thanks for any help

Last edited:

thenag

This is actually the great thing about leaf springs, mix and match until you find a combo you like.

You say that the pack has 5 leafs and 3 are bound together, I am assuming this is just a little clip, you can remove that and use any combo you like. People usually remove that clip to promote axle droop while flexing so the leafs fan apart.

On my Bronco on the front I had a main leaf from a 1996 f350 and secondary leaf that was the secondary leaf from a 2002 superduty. (only 2 leafs total both full length)

On the rear I had a main leaf from a 2002 superduty, the second leaf was the main leaf from a bronco with the ends cut off and the other few leafs were random ford leafs.

You will have to remove the center pin that holds all the leafs together, you may need a new center pin if it is too rusted to use or too short or too long.

I found the more full length leafs you have the less axle wrap you will have. I also like the idea of having a full length secondary leaf so that the load is not completely riding on the main leaf. (of course I had a 6500lb Bronco so with a cj that won't be as much of a concern)

If you more than a couple of changes it would be a good idea to get some new u-bolts once you get the setup you like. You are not supposed to re-use u-bolts.

u-bolts and center pins you should be able to get at any spring shop, I got mine from AAA spring and truck.

Nathan
99 xj work in progress

krawlereng

springman
dropping one leaf will drop it an inch and if they are new drive it for a while and it will settle another inch or so you can also drive it with the shocks off for a while to get them to settle. if you don't want to drop a leaf. the longer the leaf you remove the more it will settle. and play with it for a while and find a combo that works for your needs.

Green-Tonka-CJ5

BEE-DUHB
so i removed the two out of the pack and it is a much better ride! just a couple concerns. The leafs in the middle of the arch almost sit flat then bow up near the ends. Kind of like a captain hook mustache. The shackle angles are perfect and the height is back to normal, but im concerned under flex that the middle section might invert, bend, or break due to lack of support. i will get pics up in the next day or so. Thank you for the direction so far!

Green-Tonka-CJ5

BEE-DUHB
Pics added!

Ok here are some pics all input is welcome! I believe the shackle angle is correct, and it rides great, just worried about inverting the springs etc! Just had a rough year last year with break downs so i want to avoid it all if possible this year suspension wise.

Attachments

• SDC15675.jpg
    SDC15675.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 16
  • SDC15674.jpg
    SDC15674.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 16
  • SDC15673.jpg
    SDC15673.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 14
  • SDC15672.jpg
    SDC15672.jpg