Leaky Motorcycle Tank

rholbrook

What is the best way to fix a leaky motorcycle tank. This is my friends YZ300 with WR gears and a Rekluse and he over tightened his shroud bolt. I know he doesn’t deserve a bike like this but we need to stop this mess

Last edited:

Agility Customs

Vendor
I know nothing about motor scooters but I would try JB weld made especially for plastic. I used it on a Power steering reservoir once and It worked amazing

4x4_Welder

I have patched several rusted out fuel tanks with Seal All. JB can have issues with fuels, but Seal All is designed for it. For extra reinforcement I've pressed in a paper towel while the stuff was still wet, and never had a leak issue again.

gatchmo5710

Puts JB weld to shame. Use it for everything. Its a chemical resistant glue/sealant. Stays flexible. Semi UV resistant. i can lift a helicopter with just the stuff holding the rotor head.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Sorry Russ.
That Acerbis tank is HDPPE. And while you can try to fix it with PlastiWeld or plastic radiator tank fix it JB gas tank patch...ultimately the only fix that works is melting the crack together with a soldering iron. And because it's where that brass shroud bolt insert is located.. it's a no go.
I tried.
I tried everything: same spot on another tank.
And the only way to go is plug that hole with jb weld (if it's leaking out the hole only ---then you lose the shroud bolt mount) if it's leaking around the brass insert you are SOL. I tried for an entire year same spot and everything and I mean everything eventually chipped off and it leaked again. And I ended up buying a new tank for Stacie's bike...
After the third failure leaked gas all over her pants on a ride. Oh it sucked bad.

I still get like 30 or 40% with Acerbis if you need a hookup.