LED light questions

Brett

Meat-Hippy
okay, got a zuk with front and rear LED for turn signals...the rears doubling as stop lights.....

So, I need to figure out how to get these things to flash like normal flashers instead of just flashing at the speed of light....any ideas people?

one thing you could do is go buy 2 more led's for the rear and hook yhem up as your turn signals, so you would have one for brake and one for turn.

Or try a heavy duty flasher, that works on some vehicles not sure bout sami's though.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
my LEDs on the rear of my zuk flash about 3 times per second...there is nothing wrong or illegal about that.

the reason it does that in my estimation, is that the LEDs have a lower resistance so the flasher can flash faster...

is it a matter of personal preference because it will take some serious electrical engineering to be able to slow those suckers down.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
i read about this on tjs. and there is a reistor in the flasher that makes the lights flash fast when ther is a open circut. with the leds being lower resistance it flashes fast. you just need to open the flasher and cut the resistor out.

try doing a search on pirate thats were i found that information.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Brett said:
I need to figure out how to get these things to flash like normal flashers instead of just flashing at the speed of light...

Yo, Einstein... explain "flashing at the speed of light" to me. ;) :rofl:

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
The fastness of the blinking could be caused by the wiring. My Zuk has a turn signal problem when something isn't touchin right or is touching something it shouldn't. I'm not sure if LED's do the same. Just a thought.

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
yes, please explane just how fast it is flashing. If all you are getting is a constant buz then you may have a cut wire somewhere.

The problem comes from too high a resistance, your lights are connected in paralel (two paths for the current to flow, one front, one rear) if one of those is cut, then the resistance doubles (only one path for the current) and the current halves (voltage = resistance*amperage).

what you can try is adding a third path for the current to flow by wiring in a potentiomiter (variable resistor with a knob on it), try using one that is around 10 ohms, you should be able to adjust the exact speed at witch the lights flash, however it may make your lights somewhat dimmer.

climb under your dash and look for a solid green wire (make suer it leads to the switch on the colum) and wire the pot betwine it and a ground (do NOT cut the green wire, just tap into it), then simply flip the switch on and turn the knob untill the desired effect is reached.

p.s., yes I am an EE

moabrat98

i had the same problem with my tj when i installed my rear led tail lights go to auto zone and buy a thermal flasher for like 6 bucks and it should fix the problem

hilltj

On TJs you can hack the flasher relay to make it work, like this:

led%20(10).jpg

I read about it here:

http://www.mesa4x4.com/tech_articles/flasher/flasher.html

and did my write-up here:

http://jeepnut.org/hilltj/led.htm

Don't know if this helps with your machine though, good luck.

-Al

ben c

NEVER SHUTS UP
fast flasher

i once saw this guy on the freeeway and his was doing this and he got off the exit and got out and turned this thing for more power to fix it oh ya it was his spare tire (kind alike a little wind up car ) hahahahaha