Legend Class Rules 2014

Coco

My rig will be (I think) in Pro Mod. It is what is left of an F-Toy frame, but it not technically an F-Toy as it will be linked front and rear w/ coilovers. But until just recently, my chassis did have the full stock Toyota frame.

EDIT: am I right, or would I be in Unlimited? Just trying to get an idea.

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Look, I'm not trying to bust your chops Chris, so read this as if we were hanging out at the fire or something.

Yes, yes it does. You have rear dig. You know from years of competing: massive suspension travel isn't necessary for crawling competitions, and full hydro is not a huge advantage compared to assist on a rig that weighs between 2640-3000 lbs.
Assist works great on my stripped down 4200lb rig. There are rigs in Legend that weigh over 6000lbs. A tube buggy has a huge advantage.
Please read the promod rules. F-toys would be very competitive.
Just because you picked leaf springs and assist doesn't mean it's not a buggy. Look at the overall scores.

Look at the class rules. Putting an Ftoy rig in legends is a blatant disregard to them. So what you have leaf springs and assist? Half the Legends class runs leaf springs, assist and doesn't even have dig at all.
You make it seem like it's putting you at a disadvantage.
Jinx is absolutely right: F-toys have zero body = huge advantage.

But truly the only real measuring stick is overall scores.
Please looks at the math: math is factual.
Here are some figures:

2013 FToy class winner scored a -110? Ya... that's 57 points less than the legend class winner. (Let me put that into perspective: Ftoy winner could have entirely skipped 1 course and still won)

The average point spread between rigs in Ftoys and Legends (that fully competed both days)?

FToy points average -70 + Legend points average 62 = 132 points difference

2012 + 2013 = 2 years average points
Ftoy points average -22 + Legend points average 71 = 93 points difference

93 point spread.
Even with a 30point penalty; it's not competitive, it's like allowing a gun in a knife fight...:ugh:

It opens up a can of worms for judges, do they allow every driver that has cut off the body on whatever rig and now wants to run Legends? :sick:

The Legend class vehicles are essentially trail rigs that are just outside of street legal or run a larger than 37" tire. (There were Legend rigs last year that were plated street legal.)
NOT specialized competition tube buggies.
66% stock body and frame is what defines the Legends class. Period.

I say, either step it up to promod and have a competitive class.
or
Quit saying how FToy's are "special" and allow F-toy look-a-like rigs in the "FTOY class, (that includes factory linked rigs like Seth's (iamsparticus) or Jeeps, etc. with bodies chopped off).

(To examine my figures: I threw out Quentin Morse's, Seth Johnson's, and Derek Pace's results because they had 4 or more courses at 50points and with those figures we can safely assume they didn't fully compete the second day)

I totally agree with stratton here, and yes i didnt compete the second day had engine mount problems so you did it right. I think F-toys should have there own class if there is 4 or more if not they can go to pro mod, i would love to compete in legends with my FJ80 buggy but its just that a buggy, maybe not a full on tube buggy because i have a frame and stock sheet metal, but if im put in pro-mod then that will be great, i want to see a strong pro mod class again! But this will be up to craig and the brian on who goes where so i suggest we stop this and wait and see

iamsparticus

wait can f-toys not have a manual or air rear driveline disconnect? I have one on my mini truck case, if that is aloud, as a f-toy you could have front and rear digs which would make f-toys just as good as any promod rig

iamsparticus

ftoys are not allowed rear driveline disco's. Rear dig only (2 wheel drive)
Well as in the past OSRC has not been super strict on f-toy rules in the past example not requiring your chassis to be a factory hendrix chassis like nick's, maybe if a f-toy bumps to pro-mod rear disco's would be allowed, kinda a merging of rules if you would, and allowing full hydro though i dont think that really is a advantage but like i said a merging of rules or just bump to pro-mod and go by promod rules

Last edited:

iamsparticus

right i understand that but if you see no rear disco as a disadvantage it is a very easily switched out part, put it on for OSRC run pro-mod then take it off for other events. I have the Trail Tough manual rear disco for my mini truck case i run in my fj80 buggy 7 bolts and its gone, just a thought

iamsparticus

it is not as easy to switch between but the single ended ram from trail-gear can be used for full hydro too and does it well, un bolt your box make a bracket to bolt to factory holes and holds the orbital, your done as long as you have the un graded pump. There is lots that is easy to make the f-toy pretty much a buggy with leaves, with out really cahnging it from being a f-toy. Anyway just some thoughts for all the f-toy guys

maveric

Crawler Collecter
Making any changes to the ftoy without changing from leafs to links is a waste of time IMO. My limiting factor is the spring hangers and limited articulation. Rear disco would be nice, but improving approach angle would be a better use of time and money.

iamsparticus

Making any changes to the ftoy without changing from leafs to links is a waste of time IMO. My limiting factor is the spring hangers and limited articulation. Rear disco would be nice, but improving approach angle would be a better use of time and money.
I understand that for sure, but changing to links would be a little harder lol just throwing out ideas for you guys to give you more of a edge in pro-mod if thats what you want to run, but im pretty sure no one is going to force you too. By the way what leafs are you guys running? Deavers, toyota rears, Trail-gear? I know deavers would give you more flex as well as upper crust custom shocks. when i got into comps F-toys had almost gone away so im just curious

maveric

Crawler Collecter
We are currently undecided on what vehicle/class we are running this year, but we will be there regardless. Haven't talked to Eli yet, but I'm sure he will be there. I'm working on getting the Diamond Axle ftoy there as well, but we will see what he does.

maveric

Crawler Collecter
What was the final decision on cage requirements for pickups in Legends?
My xcab truck has a prefabbed std cab cage that has been stretched (and sleeved) to fit the xcab, and is a 4 pt mounted to factory body mounts. Will this work or do I need to build a cage for it before May?

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I don't have the rules in front of me but of memory serves me correctly as long as it has a steel can, 4 point meets the minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk