Let's hear your stories that start with a bad decision

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
While in high school the back axle on my Yamaha Raptor came loose while on the back side of sand mountain. We lifted the back tires onto the rear rack of a honda foreman and headed back to camp. I was driving, and had a buddy on back. While climbing a dune the added weight to the rear of the foreman, and a rough down shift by me caused us to wheelie over.. However, the Raptor was secured on, and didn't let us flip, we got pinned between the 2 quads and couldn't get out. the grab bar of the raptor and handle bars of the foreman were on my buddies helmet. I could hear it popping and cracking, while he was screaming. It was only time until it shattered. We were completely stuck.
If I were able to bend my leg in a forward direction then I could get out, and potentially save my friends skull from smashing.
I started to twist on my leg in hopes of a fast, clean snap.. When all of a sudden the sound of another quad crested the hill!!
The other quad was able to flip us on our side, and get us out.
With a super fast drive to the Nephi hospital, I came out with no injury, but my friend had 2 broken ribs, dislocated shoulder, and a concussion..

KWight

Moral of the story: don't drink the water in Mexico, even if it's in someone's fridge, and they're drinking from it too. I'm 99% sure that water we drank came from the 55 gal bucket outside with all the scum on top of it. If there were ever a day I could take back and do over in my life, that'd be it.

Been there, done that. My experience was in Vera Cruz Mexico and I knew about the water but thought that the Orange Juice was okay. I drank nearly two pitchers of it and loved it! The next day or two I could not keep anything down and had to take small sips of bottled water to keep myself hydrated. Any more than a sip at a time would come back up n a bad way.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I helped a friend do a few seperate fabrication / welding repair projects on his XJ (LOL).
Wasn't charging him, just told him to owes me a big favor If I ever ask, to which he excitedly agreed. ...can't be bothered to help me out regarding even the smallest things... stupid me I guess :-\

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Was there a lawsuit against the waterpark?

There were lawsuits against the waterpark, the school district, and our vice principal (supposedly he knew we were planning to clog the slide and did nothing about it). I decided not to sue for the exact reason Tacoma pointed out. It was my stupid fault - not the parks. Everything settled out of court. After such a tragedy, it was a sad sight to see all these freshly graduated high school students driving around in new BMW's. Most won $1million plus. My best friend ended up with $300k, in pocket. It only took him a couple of years to blow it all...:rolleyes:

Caleb

Been there, done that. My experience was in Vera Cruz Mexico and I knew about the water but thought that the Orange Juice was okay. I drank nearly two pitchers of it and loved it! The next day or two I could not keep anything down and had to take small sips of bottled water to keep myself hydrated. Any more than a sip at a time would come back up n a bad way.

Similar to me on my last trip to Ethiopia. Although, I have no idea where I got it from...maybe it was the raw meat I ate, the cooked meat, or maybe it was the orange juice :rofl:. I was super sick and could keep nothing but sprite down. My boy was the same way (from the area and still got sick) but his ended up being giardia. Poor guy didn't know what to think. The 28 hour flight home was less than fun :sick:

Dumb things...hmmm, how about the years from 16 years old to 18 years old :rofl:. Just about anything I did was dumb. To name a few, pulled a giant stuffed animal across a major road causing carS to wreck, blowing up the greens on a local golf course, egging cars driving by (guess what, cops drive around at night too :rofl: ), riding a stolen canoe down the ski slope (fun but dumb), bowling balls out the car window at a high rate of speed, umm... I could keep going. The worse part is almost every weekend we were being chased by the police. FWIW, all these things sounded really fun at the time but each time we quickly realized how dumb of an idea it was :p...and of course we never learned.

sixstringsteve

There were lawsuits against the waterpark, the school district, and our vice principal (supposedly he knew we were planning to clog the slide and did nothing about it). I decided not to sue for the exact reason Tacoma pointed out.

Good form sir, I tip my hat to you. That's taking the moral high ground.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
4x4 related?

buying a ZJ as a tow rig
dana 44's
I let a guy take some wheels years ago and he promised to pay me that week. He dropped off the face of the earth.

Other than that, I could write a novel about dumb things I did/do. Just about all of them start with, "so I was drinking...."

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Dating a chick that I met at the sand dunes. It could only have ended badly and it did.

Canoe trip to Yellowstone in late October. It's true, you really do stop feeling cold in the late stages of hypothermia.

Everytime I got in my friends FJ in high school. Once he wedged a tree between the door and roll bar. No jack, no winch, no shovel, no tools. Once we burnt the fuse panel and drove down Camel back road up hobblecreek with no lights. No tools, no fuses. Got stuck in the snow, no shovel, no chains, no jack. Got a flat way out past nutty putty, no spare, no jack, no plugs. We always ended up walking home in the dark, in the cold. He would usually try and silence my rant about how stupid I had to be to go with him AGAIN by saying," these are the stories you will tell your kids." I guess he was right. This is also the same friend who talked me into the afore mentioned canoe trip.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Well here is the first one off the top of my head.

Wheeling by myself in the desert outside Las Vegas. I come up to a rock pile. Say to myself "this is a bad idea.". Get out and walk up the rock pile say to myself again "this is a bad idea.". Walk back to the Jeep, one more time "this is a bad idea."

Decided to go up anyway. Got to the top and what do you know the sand is very soft and I get really high centered.

Two hours later with no water and just a high lift I managed to lift and stack enough rocks to get myself out.

DON'T GO WHEELING IN THE DESERT UNPREPARED. I got off lucky.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Oh yeah, smashed my steering stabilizer which would not allow my sway bar to reconnect. Had to drive back to Base with no sway bar. Pulled the stabilizer the next day, luckily that crap is not needed.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
Back in 1999, my brother and I decided we wanted to go out on our float tubes. His (now x) wife had just bought one of those cheap $40 2 person rafts. We went out from a pick-nick area on Soldier Creek, launched our tubes, and our wives climbed in to the raft with his 2 kids (I think they were 4 and 7 at the time). My wife was 7 months pregnant.
I THOUGHT my brother and I would go out and fish and our wives would paddle around near the shore (after all these 2 women were ADULTS with common sense, right?). About 15 minutes later I look up and they are paddling straight out toward the middle of the lake. I could see where the nice smooth glassy water turned to ripples from the wind that was coming over the hill behind the shoreline that we had launched from. I remember a feeling coming over me that there was trouble. I yelled for them to start paddling back, but the wind had already caught them (they couldn't hear me because of the wind anyway). I sat for a few minutes watching them be blown across the lake, trying to think of the best way to get to them as I was in my own float tube and I would probably never be able to get to them. Could I paddle back in to my truck and drive around to the other side of the lake to pick them up? Would they make it to the other side without capsizing? I could see them finally "wake up" and realize they were caught in the wind and start to try to paddle back, but it was about all they could do to stay in one spot against the wind. Just then some people in a ski boat came trolling by (stupid me I didn't ask for help), a guy from the pick-nick area came running down to the shore and yelled to the boat that they needed to go get "that guy and his wife and kids" that were in trouble (he had thought it was my brother and his wife and kids, instead of 2 women). So the boat people reeled in their poles shut down the trolling motor, fired up the big motor and roared off. When they got to our wives, they asked "are you OK? do you need a ride back?" my brothers wife said "no we're OK". At this time MY wife said "no we are not, we need help". So they got them and brought them back to safety.

This was a potentially fatal situation, that was prevented by some other GOOD people (the guy on the shore yelling to the people in the motorboat, and the people in the motorboat) who refused to sit by and let a bad situation get worse. I never got anybody's name to send them a thank you card or anything but I am grateful to this day for those people.

The "bad decision" for me was thinking that someone else (yea, MY wife too) had enough sense to think of the obvious risks and use their brain.