Lets see the BRAINS of RME

Brett

Meat-Hippy
This caused a thread of more than 200 pages on another board due to people being idiots....lets see who's smart on here. :greg:

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in opposite direction).

The question is:

Will the plane take off or not? Will it be able to run up and take off?

Meat_

Banned
Yes it will take off, the conveyor moving in the opposite direction would make the wheels turn faster but the wheels are irrelevant to the thrust of the engines. (well marginally relevant because of the increased drag)

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
Brett said:
This caused a thread of more than 200 pages on another board due to people being idiots....lets see who's smart on here. :greg:

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in opposite direction).

The question is:

I say no. Only the plane's wheels are moving, and not the plane itself. A plane needs air moving its wings in order to take flight. If it's not moving in a forward direction, it's no more than you standing out there trying to fly.

I think!!! :confused:

Maxxsmoke

NOObee
Brad said:
A plane won't lift off the ground without the pressure differential caused by air moving over the wing's surface. If the plane is essentially sitting still atop the runway, due to the conveyor negating the plane's forward thrust, that plane is going nowhere.

Agreed without lift which is generated my the WING moving thru the air that plane will just burn lots of kerosene

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Define "plane speed" is that the speed of the plane with respect to the normal environment (not the conveor) or the "wheel" speed that would be shown on a speedometer...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Brett said:

The question is:

Yup... The wheels aren't driven. The jets are what moves the plane so the conveyer is then useless.

Last edited:

Cherokeester

It will take off as said in the first post, the wheels are not driving the plane, the jet engines are. If the wheels were driving the plane as in a car for example the car would sit still relative to the surrounding. The plane on the other hand is using thrust and will be propelled forward whatever the wheels are sitting on. Simple physics really.

Cherokeester

A good example: If you are on Waynes World just sitting and your tires are spinning because you have no traction you forward progress is nill. (like me on my last trip) Put on jet engine on top of your jeep you are going up!!
(coconuts are tropical, we live in a temperate zone)

Cherokeester

nope

But the plane will be moving forward to create lift. Again, the jets are pushing the plane. Bernoulli's principle will be satisfied because there will be air rushing on the wing, Would it be any different if the plane was on ice? no. The first post stated exactly right. :eek:

Cherokeester

The coefficent of drag from the wheels spinning on the belt would have to be higher than the thrust developed by the jets, which in this case would not be. So the plane would move forward creating airflow over the wings. The plane would not be stationary.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Brett said:

The question is:

No, the plane will not take off.

Airplanes have 4 forces which act on them, in order to make flight possible: Thrust, Lift, Drag and Weight.

The engines will provide the thrust. If the ground below the plane is already moving (the conveyor belt), the wheels on the plane will just be spinning and the plane will be stationary. The stationary plane will not be creating any air flow over the wings, therefore not generating lift. The airplane will never reach any air-speed, which is a must to overcome the weight and drag of the plane in order to get it off the ground.

I've piloted a plane off a runway, but I've never taken off from a conveyor belt. :p

Last edited:

JoeT

Hmm maybe RockMonkey could get a certain Rocket Scientist to voice his opinion on this. I don't think that plane is going anywhere without any lift under it's wings.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Hmmm... damn you Cherokeester, now I have my mind focusing more on the thrust of the jets vs the conveyor... but in my mind it seems that as long as the jet is grounded and the conveyor is matching the speed, it stays stationary.

Now I'm not going to get any work done today...