Lets see the Dirt Bikes!

RamToy

Wickha Wickha Wa
Shazaaam, thats a pretty looking bike. Never thought I would see you on anything but blue :D Well you did have that old CR80? Its been awhile, I would love to get out and ride with you!

Thanks. Yeah i decided to give the Kawi a run this year and see how it goes. So far so good.... Close on the Honda but it was a 125. Ha ha. Im still down.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Got something a little more dirt friendly :D 97 KDX 220

kdx.jpg

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
:cool:

KDX's are killer little trail bikes, I've spent some time on one years ago. Have you had it out yet?

Whats the plan with the KLR250? Catherine has been thinking about a bike... :greg:

I sold the KLR last week. After having it out on the trails, I realized the bike wasn't built for what I wanted to use it for. The thing was way too heavy, and every time I had it on it's side, it would take 10 minutes of kicking to get it started. I powered out regularly just going up the dirt roads, and the suspension was miserable. When I bought it, we didn't own a truck, so that has changed things and made it so I could get a bike built to be a woods monster.

I'm hoping to take the KDX out next weekend. I would have taken it camping this weekend, but didn't have the means to get it into the bed of our truck :-\

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Got something a little more dirt friendly :D 97 KDX 220

Nice bike! I grew up on a KDX200 and regret selling it to this day :( I probably could have rode it around the world at least once if I totaled up all the miles I put on it.

I installed some Race Tech .44 springs in the forks and it made all the difference for my weight at the time.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I'm very much considering purchasing a street-legaled 2001 XR650R and getting back to my two wheeler roots!

Jared

Well, I did it. I bought a 2000 model with the HRC package. It positively rips! I will need to do a bit of stuff to get it street legal, and maybe get a bigger tank as well.

Is there a very cheap package to get one of these barely street legal?

Attachments

• 12776514.JPG
    12776514.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 19

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well, I did it. I bought a 2000 model with the HRC package. It positively rips! I will need to do a bit of stuff to get it street legal, and maybe get a bigger tank as well.

Is there a very cheap package to get one of these barely street legal?

:greg: Badass bike! I looked hard as XR650R's before settling on my DR650. Those big bore bikes need a bigger tank, they can drink the fuel if you're riding hard.

There are cheap options for street legal kits, but you get what you pay for. I bought a cheap one, installed it on me WR400 and before I could get it tested the horn and brake light quit working. :mad2: If I had to do it again, I would pony up for a Baja Designs kit. Last time I checked they were around $400. You could piece together a a kit, but it will probably cost more in the long run.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Greg - I just looked through two of your trip reports on advrider.com... that one through Telluride looked just amazing!

As much as I would likely enjoy the full day cross country rides, it's probably not going to happen very soon. My family enjoys me way too much to leave them home. This bike will probably be used in conjunction with ATV's on trips with family and friends to the dunes and mountains mostly.

I might try a motorcycle junkyard first to see if I can scrounge up a taillight/blinker/plate combo for cheap, as well as the handlebar switches and brake switch. OEM stuff should be good quality, but figuring out how to do a quality wire harness splice could take some time and research.

Honestly though, I just need to get out and ride it for a bit. When I was taking the bike for a test ride, I felt like a little kid whose dad just unbolted the training wheels from my Huffy. I grew up on a dirt bike, but it's been nothing but ATV's for 18 years!

Jared

Last edited:

rholbrook

Roy Jenkins from Kaysville makes a street legal kit. I have bought 2 from him, one for my WR450 and one for my son's TTR230. Three of my friends have purchased theirs from him as well.

I bought a Baja Design head light for the 230 because we never seem to get back to the truck until after dark.

I was looking on Ebay for some sort of a kit to make my WR street legal and came across one from Utah. Come to find out he lived 3 blocks from me. I got a taillight for the 230 from Roy because the it never came with one. His kits are customizable based on what you need but for my 450 I got a brake light switch and folding(kind of)plastic mirror, horn, horn button and simple instructions. The kit was great and based on the year of your Honda, you shouldn't need turning lights though he has some really nice ones that are small but work great.

Roy was great to work with. His number is 801-643-3440 If he doesn't answer, leave a message and he will call you back.

ricsrx

The kit was great and based on the year of your Honda, you shouldn't need turning lights

I have gone the rounds with I/M and if your converting it to the street, starting this year you will need turn signals.

If your bike is street leagal from the factory and built befor 1972, you can get away with out them.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Roy Jenkins from Kaysville makes a street legal kit. I have bought 2 from him, one for my WR450 and one for my son's TTR230. Three of my friends have purchased theirs from him as well.

I bought a Baja Design head light for the 230 because we never seem to get back to the truck until after dark.

I was looking on Ebay for some sort of a kit to make my WR street legal and came across one from Utah. Come to find out he lived 3 blocks from me. I got a taillight for the 230 from Roy because the it never came with one. His kits are customizable based on what you need but for my 450 I got a brake light switch and folding(kind of)plastic mirror, horn, horn button and simple instructions. The kit was great and based on the year of your Honda, you shouldn't need turning lights though he has some really nice ones that are small but work great.

Roy was great to work with. His number is 801-643-3440 If he doesn't answer, leave a message and he will call you back.

This is the kit I was referring to earlier that I could not remember the name. I have heard nothing but good things about this kit.

You can also get the kit from rockymountainmc.com

http://www.rockymountainmc.com/prod...&webCatId=20&prodFamilyId=20073#vehicleSelect

Anytime you need parts, I encourage you to use RM. They give back to the sport.......BIG TIME.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Greg - I just looked through two of your trip reports on advrider.com... that one through Telluride looked just amazing!

As much as I would likely enjoy the full day cross country rides, it's probably not going to happen very soon. My family enjoys me way too much to leave them home. This bike will probably be used in conjunction with ATV's on trips with family and friends to the dunes and mountains mostly.

I might try a motorcycle junkyard first to see if I can scrounge up a taillight/blinker/plate combo for cheap, as well as the handlebar switches and brake switch. OEM stuff should be good quality, but figuring out how to do a quality wire harness splice could take some time and research.

Honestly though, I just need to get out and ride it for a bit. When I was taking the bike for a test ride, I felt like a little kid whose dad just unbolted the training wheels from my Huffy. I grew up on a dirt bike, but it's been nothing but ATV's for 18 years!

Jared

I have a very understanding wife that knows how much I enjoy big rides on my motorcycle. ;) Glad you liked the trips, I try to post them here too since it seems that there are enough other motorcyclists who'd be interested. That ride where I passed thru Telluride was a long day, 400 miles, over 12k feet elevation and a lot of different towns. I think I was gone for 15 hrs that day.

There are many riding styles, I love technical single track, but have been enjoying 'adventure' rides a bit more lately. I know it's not for everyone and that's fine by me. :)