Lets See Your Best Trail Fixes

Cruiser

look what i can do!!
ok so i was rooting through some old pic's when i found this...

Scott Jacksons 89 toyota 4runner broke a tie rod. I using primative tools(battery/jumpercables) came up up with a easy fix! :D

the funny thing is he was so cheap he drove the rig for a few weeks like this... :eek:

Attachments

• tie_rod_wrench.jpg
    tie_rod_wrench.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 81

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
the battery in my truck was once held in by bailing wire for over a year, the same battery met my engine fan twice, but is still good!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Broken semi-float axle... drove it out with the use of ratchet staps and a tow chain...

Broken pitman arm... drove it out with the use of a hi-lift handle, duct tape, and nylon rope. :D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Long story short -

Friend blew a ring gear in his D35 in the middle of pritchet. The spiders were welded in the carrier with the broken ring. He happened to have another carrier w/ same ring ratio, but the ring was a thin gear, the one he broke was a thick gear. So we couldn't just swap the ring gears. The spare carrier also had a lockright in it, but the pins were sheared. We hammered a bunch of .25" bolts inbetween the 2 middle clutches to lock it solid and threw it in there. Good thing those D35 shims are outside of the bearings, we had to mess with that for a while to get it set close to operable.

One of the bearing cap bolts was broken too. We went though an assortment of bolts until we found the closest fit. We had to use a stack of washers to make it work (bolt was too long), and even the diff cover wouldn't go all the way on because of it. Fixed that problem with a motivation hammer.

I felt like McGyver that day.

Lasted the whole trip and he even drove it home to Price on the hiway. :D

When he did finally get it pulled apart (1 year later) he tried to pry the bolts out to get the locker out... wouldn't budge. :D

Moral of the story. Clean your bearing cap bolt threads and use lots of locktite after setting up diffs or installing lockers. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• trail_fix_lockwrong.jpg
    trail_fix_lockwrong.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 34

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
On Lower Helldorado a few years ago, I busted a rear d-shaft. "No problem. I 'll just finish the trail in front wheel drive." I didn't know that I had a dragging rear brake at the time, so a busted front axle shaft stopped me in 10 feet. We decide to winch/drag, now that I am only 1-wheel drive. Next up, broken tie-rod end. I removed my front driveshaft, and left the Jeep on the trail overnight. Next morning I bought a new tie rod, and rented some shop time at the tool rental place on the south end of time where I shortend my front drive shaft so it would work on the rear.

When we got back to the Jeep, we figured out that I suck at measuring, and the d-shaft was too long. Luckily, someone had an on board welder, so we shortened it a few more times, installed it and the tie rod, then drove out in rear wheel drive. It was the best time I have ever had in Moab. :hickey:

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
my trail fix sounds kinda weak but i welded an exhaust pipe into the rear driveline and drove it around vibrating like crazy for a couple of weeks.

another time my friend grenaded his rear limited slip it split the case in half every thing was mangled so we welded it into full spool it lasted the rest of the weekend

JackKeslerCustoms

Your trail fixes are definately not week. I'm still driving on my tie-rod, adams u-joint that you custom made new straps for on the rock slide up Pritchett, My lower control arm is still holding tight, not to mention the kid in the toyota that you welded his front driveline yoke back on.

Jeromy

mbryson said:
I wish I had pics.........
:D
fcd2c746.jpg

fcd2c740.jpg

fcd2c9be.jpg

fcd2c72e.jpg

More at: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290872107

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My son in law dropped his xj off a step in Moab last spring and shoved his muffler clamp into the gas tank and popped two holes in the tank. I patched the holes with chunks from a bar of soap that I worked into the holes. Once the leaks stopped I covered the soap with duct tape to keep the water out. We were hoping to get to Green River to find a new tank but we got there too late Saturday night. The patch wasn't leaking at all so we filled it up and drove it all the way to Salt Lake. It never leaked till I pulled off the patch on Monday whem we swapped in one of my spare tanks. On the same trip I had to fix my nieces TJ that kept blowing fuel pump fuses whenever she went over a big bump on the trail. What I found was that the longer bracket that they put on the rear axle for the track bar was hitting the fuel lines and the wiring harness that feeds the fuel pump. Luckily the fuel lines were not damaged but the wires were cut and shorting out. It also put a hole through her floor. She had bump stop extensions so I'm not sure why it did it.
Dave

grinch

inner city redneck
Not a trail but in st george UROC this year Jake and I busted the upper truss that held his rear 4 link on.... It in turn busted the new set of walker evens airshocks off right at the eyes...... A bunch of bugger welds, angle iron, and alot of tiewire and we finished the comp..... Yes I am a redneck.
f5f940fb.jpg

f5f94103.jpg

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
grinch said:
Not a trail but in st george UROC this year Jake and I busted the upper truss that held his rear 4 link on.... It in turn busted the new set of walker evens airshocks off right at the eyes...... A bunch of bugger welds, angle iron, and alot of tiewire and we finished the comp..... Yes I am a redneck.
I was amazed at that one. I didn't think that shock had a chance of staying on.

I've replaced a few axle shafts on the trail before... I guess I need to break more crap so I can have some cool stories like you guys. :ugh:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
RockMonkey said:
I was amazed at that one. I didn't think that shock had a chance of staying on.

I've replaced a few axle shafts on the trail before... I guess I need to break more crap so I can have some cool stories like you guys. :ugh:

Run a D44 or a D30.....

redrock

cruiseroutfit said:
Broken semi-float axle... drove it out with the use of ratchet staps and a tow chain...

Broken pitman arm... drove it out with the use of a hi-lift handle, duct tape, and nylon rope. :D
I have a pictue of this somewhere

Jeromy

mbryson said:
NICE!!!!! That's a GREAT ONE! I especially like the second one where Shawn is holding my whole Jeeps weight up while I back it down so we can fix it. He's a tough feller.....:D

Did you follow the link? Their are a ton more of that day. Lots of the repair.
I have the originals files if you want copys of any of them....

Jer

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Jeromy said:
Did you follow the link? Their are a ton more of that day. Lots of the repair.
I have the originals files if you want copys of any of them....

Jer

I'll take a look at them. It's been a while since I've known where those pictures were.....