Lets talk about camp stoves

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt I'm going to kill you. I want that!

(the stove AND the mushrooms)

We still couldn't get Steve to give the cream cheese a try. And I rolled solo on my suated onions and brats, bunch of onion haters out there. Man I feel bad for you guys :D

Mushrooms are better, I'll give you that. Mark my works Wyatt, our next trip I'm bringing a couple pounds of mushrooms and 4 sticks of butter just for you.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Since you have me in the mood, I went out and played with the new stove. Its a 412B, and I can't find anything about it on both OldTownYucca or ICCC, but based on its model number it could be as early as the 40's? Its either really rare or some other anomaly?

I need to clean the tank, install a new pump and possible generator, but I plugged my newer tank (413G from the 60's) into it and she fired right to life, ready for a meal.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Next trip is the relic run! Did they have mushrooms back in the 70's? Oh wait...:brett:

LOL, did they ever! I'll bring the cookin' kind, you handle the rest.

I think we should do an Hors d'oeuvres hour on the first night of our camp, each attendee has to make some sort of finger food/snack for the group on their vintage stove? What do you think?

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
I'm all for it. So far every night since I got my Coleman 502 I have to talk myself out of making dinner with it. I caved and made some ramen the other day. Oh the blue flames burn so pretty.

My Coleman 500 should be here any day.

What I'm REALLY trying to find is an Optimus 111, but every one on ebay gets sniped by some doosh bag whore.

ZUKEYPR

I have this one;
5442-A50_500.jpg

Packs small, convenient, like the dual burner feature, ignites way to easy, doesn't burn no where near as hot. Takes forever to boil water, I couldn't even get my cast iron skillet hot enough to blacken my Red Snapper and must of had it on high for at a minimum of 30 minutes.

If you only want one burner than this is the way to go;
msr_dragonfly.jpg

Boils 1 liter in 3.5 minutes! Now that is fast. Sounds like a Leer Jet doing it, but you will not be waiting around camp for your breakfast to cook while everyone else is packing up to hit the trail.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Kurt, if it wasn't going to be 70's based, we could make our appetizers with this:

9937-A50_500a.jpg

Takes a one pound propane tank. :greg:

And while we're on the subject of ridiculous camp cooking implements, I was reading your trailer build the other day. Did you even end up putting a microwave in it like you wanted to? :rofl:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt, if it wasn't going to be 70's based, we could make our appetizers with this:

9937-A50_500a.jpg

Wow, a deep fryer for camping. Thats cool. It would be easy to deep fry over a normal stove. Extremely dangerous, but the Coleman white gas products haven't been exactly known as safe over the years :D

..And while we're on the subject of ridiculous camp cooking implements, I was reading your trailer build the other day. Did you even end up putting a microwave in it like you wanted to? :rofl:

No, but there are plenty of times I wished I had :D If I could find one that were up to the task of being bounced all over Utah and was small and decent power consumption, I would consider it. Given that doesn't exist, not happening.

I'm liking the deep fryer option more and more though.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Yes, Kurts kitchen is awesome. My dad found one of those old white fuel coleman stoves at the DI the other day!!!

Kurt, onions and brats are a wonderful thing, but I could lose the mushrooms.

BTW, who's makin the nuggets and caramel?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yes, Kurts kitchen is awesome. My dad found one of those old white fuel coleman stoves at the DI the other day!!!

Have him shoot me an email if he needs any parts. There is a lock smith shop in SLC that stocks a bunch and there are several mail-order places that have everything you could need too.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
What is this world coming too? Wyatt hates onions, you hate mushrooms, Steve complains about both. When I'm cooking I make it one way... my way :D

Corban_White

For a single burner I have had this for 3 years and love it more every time I use it. Hot, fast, compact, self contained, low fuel consumption, etc.

jetboil_personalcookingsystem_black.jpg

Oh, and I love onions, mushrooms and brats. :D:D

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Found this thread again. Figured I'd bring it back because I'm bored at work and its funny now because now I have almost every stove I asked about in my original post. Figured I'd review them for other's reference.

Coleman suitcase 2 burner - Awesome stoves (the older they are the awesomer they are), super reliable, cake to rebuild, should never fail unless you do something stupid. They're just really klunky to have in a bumpy landcruiser. They do burn ultra hot compared to most other stoves and having two burners is nice, but I usually just end up using two single burners.

Coleman 502 - Possibly my favorite stove. Its like a brick, but its by far the easiest to light, prime, and control the flame on. Super reliable, stable, and ok in wind. Can simmer well. Not very high heat output compared to the others.

Coleman Peak 1 (similar to the exponent) - Almost the same as the 502 but smaller, lighter, and much more powerful. Harder and more dangerous to light and control, but still rock solid and better in wind.

Svea 123 and Hunter 8R
Same stove just a different case and tank. Doesn't pump so its a little trickier to prime, but they are so small and reliable (and classic :cool:)
I don't have either of these, but if anyone has one that they want to get rid of, let me know cause I want both of them badly.

Optimus Hiker Plus
Another favorite, because it looks great and its so convenient in it's little case. Its like a mini coleman suitcase. It burns very hot and uses any fossil fuel (I havent tried anything other than white gas). It also is sometimes very hard to light, sometimes hard to prime, not too great in the wind, and gets sooty if you don't prime it well. It supposedly has a magnetic cleaning needle, but it doesn't work very well. A better option would be the

Optimus Hiker (aka Optimus 111T) which is the same thing but its quieter, easier to light, prime, use in the wind, clean, and simmer. I have one but I haven't used it much because its in pieces getting restored. Used ones are mucho $$$ (over $100, easy).

I also have some 1950s Coleman 500 single burner stoves that are gigantic versions of the 502 (or single versions of the 2 burner). They burn really hot but take longer to prime and aren't as good in the wind. They simmer well and look cool cause they are sixty years old.

Yes I'm a stove nerd now. :greg:

And I still hate on propane.