Let's talk boots

Moabxjeeper

Hey guys,

With it being the off season and everything, I've been looking around for some good deals on gear. I currently have some cheapo Fly Maverik boots (which have actually worked surprisingly well so far) but I realize as I've gotten more serious about riding, it's definitely time to step it up in the boot department.

What suggestions do you guys have? I'm not looking to spend a crazy amount of money, maybe up to $250 if I thought it was worth it. FYI - I ride 90% motocross, 10% trail.

I've also looked into these boots somewhat: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/712/-/781954/Alpinestars-Tech-7-Boots-2013-Size-11-Black Anyone have experience with them?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

STAG

On my grind
Whatever you do decide if you get anything from RMATV hit me up with a part number first. I have a dealer account there and can usually get a bit of a discount. Depends on the brand.

Moabxjeeper

I love my alpinestars but my opinion is, go to your local shop and try them on before you buy them.

That's a good suggestion. I tried on the 2014 Tech 7's at Wright's and they felt amazing, I can't imagine the 2013's would be much different would they? I figured going a year back on new boots (and saving $150) wouldn't hurt anything, if that's what I end up doing.

Whatever you do decide if you get anything from RMATV hit me up with a part number first. I have a dealer account there and can usually get a bit of a discount. Depends on the brand.

PM sent!

Tonkaman

IMO buy as much boot as you can afford. Try on some with the booties and some without to see which you prefer. Alpinestar has a great rep and I've liked my tech 10 and 12 boots but try on all the others too. I was surprised how much I loved my Gearne SG 10 so I ditched the Alpinestars. Now I've tried on Sidi crossfires I'll be buying them next. Boots lose their value very quickly so don't forget to check out KSL for good deals

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have been wearing tech 3s for at least 8 years I'm on my third pair and love them. I used to wear old school tech 8s with the stitched on sole. The newer tech 3s are in my opinion more comfortable. For under $200 I don't think they can be beat.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Moabxjeeper

Awesome suggestions guys, thanks!

I'm sure the Tech 10's and 12's are great, but those are pretty well out of my price range right now. I think I might end up with the 7's for now and see how that works out.

Also got the old man some nice O'Neal boots for Christmas, I'm excited to see how those will work out for him.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I love my Tech 10's. I know a lot of people who wear the Tech 7's and like them. One thing to keep in mind is sole wear. I am really hard on boots and my soles only last me about a year. The molded soles on the Tech 7 & 10's are more complicated to replace. There is a company in California that will do them for $150. Normal soles are about $100.

Caleb

There's very few boots (very little gear in general) that you'll save anything on with an RMATV dealer account, just sayin. :)

As for boots, I agree with what's been said. The Alpinestars are very nice boots, Gaerne is another great boot, but IMO, the holy grail is the Sidi Crossfires.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I love my Tech 10's. I know a lot of people who wear the Tech 7's and like them. One thing to keep in mind is sole wear. I am really hard on boots and my soles only last me about a year. The molded soles on the Tech 7 & 10's are more complicated to replace. There is a company in California that will do them for $150. Normal soles are about $100.

Yep, I have a pair of Tech 7's and I love them, but like paul says "Sole wear" my soles are worn from the pegs, and the rest of the boot is in perfect shape, and I hate breaking in new boots with a passion, I would wear these boots forever if the sole would hold up, next pair of boots will have replaceble sole sections like the Tech 8's

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Yep, I have a pair of Tech 7's and I love them, but like paul says "Sole wear" my soles are worn from the pegs, and the rest of the boot is in perfect shape, and I hate breaking in new boots with a passion, I would wear these boots forever if the sole would hold up, next pair of boots will have replaceble sole sections like the Tech 8's
This guy does a great job on the molded soles. I had him do mine and they are holding up really well.

http://www.factoryresole.com/

rholbrook

I liked my Sidis but lost them or they got stolen. I like my new boots but for the life of me I can't remember what they are without getting up and getting in my gear bag. One thing I do like is the waffle tread on them

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I am pretty sure my next pair of boots will be the SIDI Crossfire's. They are on par price wise with the Tech 10 and SG12 but have easily replaceable parts.

Moabxjeeper

I ended up going with the Tech 7's. I've only had them out twice now and they're not quite broken in but they're getting there. So far I really like them, the buckles seem really sturdy and it feels good to have actual ankle support.

Thanks for the heads up about the soles. I'll keep a close eye on them for sure. I'm not too hard on boots at this point since I've only got one season under my belt but I'm definitely getting faster which is why I wanted new ones in the first place.

I'm sure those Sidi boots are nice but I'm scared to even look at the price. My dad still has a pair from the 80's he was using before I bought him these new ones (although we didn't ride for about 12 years). The sole is still pretty well intact, there's just some kind of lining on the inside that is coming apart. Maybe one day I'll have some new Sidis on my feet. For now I'm pretty content with the Tech 7's, especially for $220. I think they will last for a while.

rholbrook

I have to find my son a pair of 9's. He is 12 and I dont want to spend a ton on him right now because the way he is growing, I will have to replace them next year.